The Language Centre currently run a Language for Non-Specialists (LNS) programme which includes classes in over 20 languages at a variety of levels. The language taught is of a practical nature. These courses allow for progression from one level to the next, while not precluding first admission above the lowest level.
Select from 22 languages below to see full details:
There are different fees depending on registration type. All course fees are payable on enrolment.
Classes, which usually last two hours, are held weekly, as far as possible outside normal university teaching hours (e.g. late afternoon, early evening, some are scheduled for Wednesday afternoon) and run for 10 weeks starting in October and again in January . We also run 9 weeks classes starting after Easter. These classes are 2.25 hours long.
Enrolment is available online from the September, November and March preceding the course start date. Early enrolment is recommended as courses are popular and often fill up quickly.
Language Courses run three times per year starting in October, January and again in April.
A Queen's Certificate will be awarded to all students who attend regularly. A minimum of 70% attendance is required for certification. All Language classes (Languages for Non-Specialist courses) now count towards the University's Degree Plus Award.
More information on Degree Plus: http://www.qub.ac.uk/directorates/degreeplus/
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. You must be a minimum of 18 years old to register for any Language Centre course.
2. The course administration fee is due with registration. This fee does not include any optional external examination.
3. The course text book, if recommended, should be purchased. Should a class be cancelled any texts purchased are non-refundable by the Language Centre.
4. If you fail to attend three or more LNS classes without consulting the Language Centre office, you will be considered to have formally withdrawn and your place may be offered to someone else. This does not apply to Certificate courses.
5. Any request for a class change can only be made in consultation with the Language Centre and depends upon the availability of places. Any student wishing to change class must do see by Friday of the first week of classes. Under no circumstance is it possible to join a class after week 3.
6. The Language Centre reserves the right to change fees and charges without notice.
7. The Language Centre reserves the right to cancel any course which does not recruit a viable number of students. A full refund will be made in these circumstances.
8. The Language Centre will endeavour to keep to the published timetable, but reserves the right to alter times/dates in the event of unforeseen circumstances. Should a student consequently be unable to attend, a full refund will be made.
9. The Language Centre reserves the right to cancel classes in the event of teacher absence. In such cases the teacher will endeavour to find a mutually agreeable time with the majority of students to re-schedule classes. No refunds will be made in the event of some students being unable to subsequently attend.
10. The University does not accept responsibility for loss of personal belongings left unattended or in unlocked rooms.
11. All refunds before the start of the course must be requested in writing. Please note that while Queen's do not charge for issuing refunds, EVENTBRITE have introduced an administration fee of 6%. Consequently refunds are paid as follows (less 6% of the course fee)
Before 29 September – full refund
30 September to 6 October – 50% refund
No refunds available from 7 October
12. Refunds are not normally paid after the beginning of classes. Any such request must be made in writing to the Language Centre Manager and must be related to reasons beyond your control and supported by written evidence. These refunds will be at the Language Centre Manager’s discretion. All refunds, where agreed, will be subject to an administrative fee of £10.00 for QUB staff and students and £40 for members of the public.
Queen's University Belfast is committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
For more information please read our Equality and Diversity Policy.
Queen's University Belfast is registered with the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland NIC101788
VAT registration number: GB 254 7995 11