OneDrive for Business
OneDrive is the Microsoft cloud service that connects you to all your files. It lets you store and protect your files, share them with others, and access them from anywhere on all your devices. It is fully integrated with other Office 365 Apps. When you use OneDrive with an account provided by your University, it is called OneDrive for Business.
Queen’s OneDrive for Business is certified against internationally recognised information security standards and approved by the University for all data. However, you are responsible for using it in a safe and secure way. In particular for research, ensure there are no contractual restrictions on use of Cloud Storage for the work you wish to store in your Queen’s OneDrive for Business.
- personal storage, for example draft documents, personal expense reports, or documents that no one else needs to see
- documents you need to share temporarily, internal or external to Queen’s, for example blog articles or work documents you want to informally review
- collaborative working on a small scale, for example within a small team where a shared folder is held on one team member’s OneDrive for Business and shared with other team members
- documents that more than one team member need to update as OneDrive for Business allows co-authoring
- small Research teams with a few external team members
- documents you need to access on the go as OneDrive for Business is very mobile friendly (requires you to sync OneDrive for Business)
OneDrive for Business is not intended as a final destination for storing documents. You should follow the policy of your faculty, school or directorate regarding the final storage location of any documents (including research materials).
OneDrive for Business is not backed up by Information Services. However if you accidentally delete a file from your OneDrive for Business, it goes into a Recycle Bin from where you can recover it for up to 93 days (and by Microsoft for a further 14 days).
For more information on OneDrive for Business click on 'More on OneDrive' at the top of the page.