Skip to Content

Access for staff and students of other academic institutions

Non-Queen’s University Students

Students from other higher/further institutions of education, including the Open University, are allowed reference access to Queen’s Library during the University's Christmas and Summer Vacation periods. Please see the University’s Semester Dates for these periods.

In order to use any of the Queen's Libraries during vacation time, you need to complete an online Vacation Student Registration Form. You will be required to present your valid student card and additional proof of identity when you visit the library.

Please note that it is not possible for visitors to borrow material, access electronic resources or use the computers.

Academic Staff and PhD Students from other Universities/Colleges

Academic staff and PhD students from participating institutions may apply for access and borrowing privileges under the terms of the SCONUL Access Scheme. You will need to obtain a SCONUL Access (Band A) membership card from your home institution. To register for membership please bring your SCONUL Access card along with your current staff/library card from your home institution to the Borrower Services Desk in The McClay Library. Further information about the scheme, participating libraries and a SCONUL Access application form is available from the SCONUL web site.

School students

Students under the age of eighteen are not normally admitted to the Library except as part of an organized school visit or when accompanied by an adult who is a member of the Library.

Please note

Access to Queen’s electronic resources is not usually available due to licensing restrictions and, some Queen’s collections are restricted to members of Queen’s University.

Researchers wishing to use Special Collections material should contact staff there in advance of their visit and will be required to register at Special Collections. Further information is available on the Special Collections web pages.

Any Library user who does not have a Smartcard will need to request a Visitor Printing Card before printing, photocopying or scanning. These can be requested at the Borrower Services desk on the Ground Floor. You should retain the card after use so that you can continue to load money onto the card at a later stage