DEGREE PLUS FAQs
- WHAT IS DEGREE PLUS?
- WHY DO IT?
- HOW CAN I DO IT?
- HOW DO MOST STUDENTS GAIN DEGREE PLUS?
- CAN I DO MORE THAN ONE DEGREE PLUS ACTIVITY AND GAIN THE AWARD/CERTIFICATION FOR IT?
- I AM A POSTGRADUATE STUDENT. CAN I ALSO DO DEGREE PLUS?
- I AM AN ERASMUS/UNIVERSITY EXCHANGE STUDENT WHO IS STUDYING AT QUEEN'S FOR A YEAR/6 MONTHS. CAN I DO DEGREE PLUS
- WHOM CAN I CONTACT IF I HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS?
- OTHER FAQS
WHAT IS DEGREE PLUS? Degree Plus is an opportunity for any current Queen’s student to get involved and gain accreditation from Queen’s for completing extra-curricular work related learning alongside their degree.
WHY DO IT? Over 1500 Students successfully complete Degree Plus each year. In doing so, they build up valuable experience(s) and practice in articulating their development and achievements to others (e.g. employers or activity providers). They also receive a certificate at graduation.
HOW CAN I DO IT?
- You are offered a choice of at least one from the Degree Plus menu of over 150 activities.
- Some activities can be completed at any time during your course or holidays, others are delivered at specific dates e.g. during Development Weeks.
HOW DO MOST STUDENTS GAIN DEGREE PLUS?
Most students (1000+) complete Degree Plus by signing up and completing an activity led by an approved provider. All of these activities are listed on the Degree Plus menu.
A smaller number (around 250) self-nominate by making a direct application. The direct application options are also listed on the Degree Plus menu.
Direct Application options:
- Combined Experience Application (formerly known as Route B – this is by far the most popular direct application option);
- Work Experience Award (for extra-curricular work experiences of 100 hours + that are relevant to graduate labour markets e.g. Santander Internships, IAESTE, Student self-organised Year out placements or summer internships) Note this route is not suitable for part-time jobs.
- Researcher Plus Application: For PGR students only. This activity is managed and assessed by the Graduate School.
CAN I DO MORE THAN ONE DEGREE PLUS ACTIVITY AND GAIN THE AWARD/CERTIFICATION FOR IT?
The degree plus certificate presented to you at your graduation will list all the degree plus activities that you completed alongside your studies. These will also be listed on your HEAR which you can access via your QSIS account (on the same page as Unofficial Transcript)
I AM A POSTGRADUATE STUDENT. CAN I ALSO DO DEGREE PLUS?
Postgraduate Taught students (e.g. Masters, PG Cert and PG Diploma) will receive a Graduate Plus certificate.
Postgraduate Research students (e.g. PhD) will receive a Researcher Plus certificate.
I AM AN ERASMUS/UNIVERSITY EXCHANGE STUDENT STUDYING FOR A YEAR/6 MONTHS AT QUEEN'S. CAN I DO DEGREE PLUS?
While Erasmus/Exchange students are welcomed to join and complete any of the activities offered, unfortunately they cannot gain the actual award/certificate through Queen’s. This is because Degree Plus is related to Queen’s University Degrees and Graduations/graduate ceremonies only.
However, Queen’s University Belfast is not the only university to offer an award of this type. We therefore recommend that Check back with the Careers Service at your home university to see if they offer a similar award. (note that Queen’s students who go out on Erasmus/Exchange work or study can gain Degree Plus for any relevant activities they complete during their course, including during their Erasmus/Exchange experience).
WHOM DO I CONTACT IF I HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS?
Contact the Degree Plus Team directly at email@example.com
You will also be able to ask questions about Degree at:
- The Student Guidance Centre (ask any of the Student Helpers in the SGC Hub)
- The Careers desk at any Careers Fair
- Ask a Careers Consultant during a Career Guidance appointment
- Ask your activity provider (if you are already engaged in an approved activity)
- If you are a PGR student asking about ResearcherPlus, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the deadlines for DegreePlus applications?
Provider Led Activities vary according to which activity you undertake. The actual deadline is set by the relevant provider.
Student Direct Application deadlines are 1st April for students graduating in the summer, and 1st November for students graduating in December.
Should I wait until my Final Year to submit my DegreePlus application?
No, you can apply for DegreePlus at any stage during your time at Queen's and this will be "banked" until your graduation. However, you must ensure to submit your Direct Application before the deadlines (1st of April for those Summer graduations and 1st of November for Winter graduations).
Am I going to be awarded DegreePlus this year?
If you completed a provider led activity you should check with the activity provider to see if you are to be awarded DegreePlus. If you applied for a direct award before the advertised deadline, email@example.com will be in contact to let you know if you have been successful.
What do I need to do to complete a Direct Application?
Just download an application form e.g. for Combined Experience from the DegreePlus activity menu and follow all the instructions that are provided within the form (this includes guidance on appropriate evidence)