Higginson Leadership Award
The purpose of this biennial award, of up to £3,000 is to encourage a sense of social responsibility and inspirational leadership among students of the university, and to support enterprising activities or ventures overseas which will demonstrate initiative and the ability to inspire or act as a role model for others.
Students who have received the Higginson Leadership Award in recent years have led teams on projects to build resource centres, provide life-saving infrastructure and help impoverished communities in Romania, Kenya, Bolivia, Thailand, Uganda, Mostar and Zambia in many interesting and beneficial ways.
The application and award process is outlined below:
- The award will be open for applications and awarded every two years.
- Submission of Stage 1 Application: This is an opportunity to outline the fundamental aspects of your project within a two-sided page template to include the activity, estimated costs, potential benefits/outcomes/impact/sustainability and how the project aligns with the spirit of the award in demonstrating leadership and/or initiative. Stage 1 applications will close by Friday, 25 January 2019.
- Feedback will be provided on your Stage 1 application and project by the Awarding Panel. Whilst this Stage will not shortlist specific candidates, if the project is not in keeping with the criteria for the award, the feedback will clearly indicate this. Feedback will be sent to applicants by Friday, 15 February 2019.
- Stage 2 Final and Full Application will require completion of a detailed application form to be submitted by Friday 15 March 2019.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- ccepted. March. Late applications will not be rs.detailed application formf the project is not in keeping with the criteria foThe application requires the Head of School to confirm that the project proposed does not conflict with study requirements.
- Applicants must be students at Queen’s at the closing date of applications.
- All candidates will be advised of the outcome of shortlisting by Friday, 5 April 2019.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview to be held w/c 15 April 2019.