Mental Health First Aid – School of Pharmacy
Attending MHFA training provides the students with skills on:
- How to recognise the symptoms of mental health problems.
- How to provide initial help.
- How to go about guiding a person towards appropriate professional help.
Trained students can provide help to a person who is developing a mental health problem or who is currently in a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until professional help is available or until the crisis resolves.
During MHFA training the students learn:
- What is meant by mental health/mental ill health?
- Dealing with crisis situations such as suicidal behaviour, self-harm, panic attacks and acute psychotic behaviour.
- Recognising the signs and symptoms of common mental health problems including depression, anxiety disorders, psychosis and substance use disorders.
- Where and how to get help.
- Self-help strategies.
For more information please contact Johanne Barry.