Procedure for Skype Career Consultations
Careers, Employability and Skills encourage all registered undergraduate, postgraduate taught students and graduates of up to two years from Queen’s University – Belfast to engage with our oncampusguidance service. However we do recognise that this may not be always possible for some of our clients.
To address this, Skype Career Consultations are available by request for clients who are unable to visit in person. Users that are likely to fall into this category are:
- Part-time registered students of Queen’s University – Belfast
- Placement students home or abroad
- Students on programmes such as City Scholars, Study US or Erasmus
- Restrictive childcare or carer responsibilities
- Graduates of up to two years
- Students with a disability
- Exceptional circumstances will be considered on a case-to-case basis
Types of Career Queries available for Skype Career Consultations
- Assessment Centre
- Explore career options
- Graduate employment
- Interview Skills/Interview Practice
- PGCE/Teaching Training
- Postgraduate study in UK and Ireland
- Postgraduate study abroad
- Psychometric tests (discussion about the type of tests)
- Study in the US programme
- Work Experience/Placement
- Work Abroad
- Other please specify
NB this Service is not open to prospective students, students from another university, graduates beyond two years of graduation from QUB or staff from QUB.
Please note a Skype appointment is not suitable for a CV or cover letter check however clients can avail of the E-guidance service for this. This option can be found either on their homepage of their Myfuture account or on the CES homepage.
Students and graduates can request a Skype appointment by downloading and completing a request form via their Myfuture homepage or on the CES website and email to email@example.com The Service will endeavour to respond to the request within three working days with the decision.
Assuming the client meets the criteria, a suitable time will be suggested and agreed between the careers consultant and the user. Where a client has requested a practice interview, supporting documentation such as the job description and application form or CV should be provided in advance of the appointment.
The career consultation will last up to thirty minutes and a staff rota will be setup to meet the requests.
The form will ask the client for:
- Name, Student Number and QUB Email address
- Skype username
- Email address used for sign up to Skype (in case it is difficult to verify which user the client is)
- The reason for Skype appointment
- The type of careers appointment
For the Skype appointment, students will be asked to:
- Log into Skype and be 'available' at the start of their appointment slot. The Consultant will contact the client.
- Familiarise themselves with Skypebeforehand.
- Give as much notice as possible for their request. (In the event the client has an urgent appointment, we will endeavour to help but our service is subject to availability.)
- Cancel their appointment immediately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know. Failure to do will deem the appointment as a ‘no show’ and will be treated as one of the student’s appointments. Sanctions will apply in accordance with our Guidance Policy, which is available to view on our website at www.qub.ac.uk/careers