The Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical sectors are not the only sectors that you can work in upon graduation. There are good sources of information to help you understand your options and to keep well informed. For example a recent UK Government report called UK ‘Strength and Opportunity’ (pdf) provides real insights to work opportunities in the Pharmaceutical and Biotech areas.
On pages 23 and 32 of the Strength and Opportunity’ (pdf) report you'll find maps which illustrate the small number of companies operating in this sector in NI; companies are clustered in the South of England, Scotland in and above London.
PHARMACEUTICAL and BIOTECH EMPLOYERS
- Remember – preferred method of recruitment for the companies is for graduates to approach them via applying for jobs on their websites or approaching recruitment contacts directly
- Northern Ireland Life Science company directory provides an overview of Northern Ireland companies in this sector
- Local websites that will be worth registering with include www.nijobfinder.co.uk www.recruitni.com www.nijobs.com
- Listings of UK Pharmaceutical employers
- UK Government office for the Life Sciences searchable database of employers
- Bio industry Association UK members are responsible for over 90% of biotech medicines currently in clinical development in the UK
- Oxford Biosciences Network Membership of 400-plus organisations includes many R&D companies (therapeutic, medical technology and diagnostics) as well as an extensive range of contract research (CRO) and manufacturing (CMO) organisations
- One Nucleus (Cambridge) has a members area which includes many Biotech companies –international membership organisation for companies working within the Life Science and Healthcare industry
- Irish Life Science directory (pdf). Ireland is home to many Multinational employers in this area attracted by the educated workforce and competitive tax rates for employers.
- Key Irish Job boards include www.jobs.ie and www.irishjobs.ie search under Science categories
- Biopharmachem Ireland - members area links to companies working and recruiting in this area
- IDA Ireland responsible for attracting Foreign Direct Investment in the life sciences