Understanding Graduate Schemes
There isn’t a strict definition, but graduate schemes tend to be defined by the following criteria:
Operated by large organisations e.g. Civil Service, NHS, Deloitte, HSBC
Fixed term – usually 18 months – 2 years. Most people are offered permanent jobs with the organisation at the end of the fixed term. These are jobs with some additional study/support elements. Many operate a rotational system so that graduates spend some time working in different departments.
Well paid – they usually have better pay and benefits than other graduate options.
Competitive – when you hear in the media c.80 people applying for every graduate job, it’s generally graduate schemes they are talking about. Some organisations set entry requirements of 2.1 or above and some set UCAS requirements. There is also usually a long recruitment process.
Timeline – most (but not all) are open for applications in autumn and many (but not all) close by December.
You’re unlikely to find many graduate schemes specifically mentioning your degree in their role titles but many are open to graduates of any degree discipline.
Graduate schemes are not the only route to a graduate job! Most graduates find graduate level work outside of graduate schemes.
General graduate opportunities
Banking & Finance
Banking Jobs UK – Banking related jobs board
EFinancialCareers – Banking and finance related jobs board
FinTRU – local company hiring graduates of any degree to work in finance
Inside Careers - Banking & Investments - Banking and finance related jobs board
State Street – international company hiring graduates locally to work in banking and finance
Accounting, Management and Technology Consultancy
Some international companies hiring graduates of any degree discipline to work in a range of areas including Accounting, business consultancy and technology consultancy:
Business, Consulting and Management
The NI Civil Service
DFID Department for International Development
HMRC have a graduate programme
National Graduate Development Programme (ngdp) Graduate training scheme for management within local government
Interpreting and Translating
The Chartered Institute of Linguists offers a Diploma in Translation and a Diploma in Public Service Interpreting.
The Institute of Translation & Interpreting - professional association for translators and interpreters in the UK
National Network for Interpreting for students to find out about careers in interpreting.
Association Internationale des Interpretes de Conference routes into Conference Interpreting
The European Commission has two separate language services, the Directorate-General for Translation and the Directorate-General for Interpretation These recruit staff independently of each other and according to different criteria.
Inbox Translation recruit freelance translators and interpreters
Translation Directorygateway for freelance translators and translation agencies.
Information, Research and Analysis
- Centre for Effective Services (NI organisation connecting research, policy and practice to improve outcomes for communities, children and young people across the island of Ireland). They run a Graduate Intern Programme.
- Jobs.ac.uk- jobs in higher and further education
- Office for National Statistics
- NatCen- National Centre for Social Research
- Government Social Research service- apply through Civil Service Jobs (NI, GB) and the Civil Service Fast Stream, provides evidence to understand, develop, implement, monitor and evaluate government policies and services. They employ social researchers in all the main government departments as well as the devolved administrations and other government bodies. See their website for useful detail about careers and the application process
- Social Research Association-'Careers in research' section and job alert facility
- Government Social Research Service (GSR)- LARIA- Local Authorities Research & Intelligence Association- some vacancies
- The Bookseller
- Book People
- Oxford International Centre for Publishing Studies
- Publishing Scotland
- The Society of Young Publishers (SYP) - vacancies available for members to view.
- Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP)
- Equip (Equality in Publishing) - sign up to view jobs.
- Independent Publishers' Guild (IPG)
- National press, particularly Guardian Jobs.
- Local press in areas where publishing companies are concentrated, e.g. Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh and Bristol.
- Agency Central
- The Drum
- Jobs in Print
- Mercury Search
- Print Week
- Local and regional press.
- Future Recruitment
- Harrison Scott Associates
- Atwood Tate
- Career Moves
- Inspired Selection
- 4 Talent - also follow them on twitter@4Talent.
- BBC Academy - The BBC also offers a wide variety of four-week work experience placements in all areas of the business, detailed at BBC Work Experience and individual job vacancies across the organisation at BBC Careers. Ariel - BBC staff email newsletter, available by subscription.
- Betty - TV Production Company specialising in factual programmes. CVs are submitted to betty’s talent team via The Talent Manager – or alternatively freelancers can email
- British Interactive Media Association (BIMA)
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council (BJTC)
- Channel 4 Careers
- Creative Access - an organisation aiming to provide young BAME people with paid training opportunities in creative companies.
- Creative SkillSet - The skills body for the creative industries. They have a Trainee Finder scheme to match individuals to placement opportunities; run meetup events (Open Doors) and host a professional online network for creatives (Hive)
- DV Talent - a media services company behind the broadcast industry's central recruitment database (The Talent Manager)
- Fremantle Media - TV Production company. You can create an online profile which enables them to contact you if they have a position that may suit your skills and experience.
- Guardian Jobs
- Hold the Front Page
- ITV Jobs
- The Knowledge
- Mama Youth Project - organisation to support young people in finding opportunities in media
- Media Week
- Latimer - Content producers
- Pinewood television
- Press Gazette
- Princess Productions - CVs can be uploaded to Princess Productions via the database (Shine Talent)
- The Radio Academy
- RDF Television - send your details to email@example.com
- Roundhouse - A life performance space with a variety of creative opportunities for young people
- Sky Academy
- Viacom International Media Networks
- Warner Brothers Television Production UK
Some Short Courses