CAREERS, EMPLOYABILITY AND SKILLS PRIVACY NOTICE
Queen’s University Belfast (“we”, “us” and “our”) is committed to protecting your personal data. The notice is addressed to students who participate in programmes facilitated by us, (“you” and “your”). This Privacy Notice tells you why we need to collect personal information about you, what we will do with it, and how we will look after it. It also tells you about your legal rights in relation to your Personal Data. If you have any questions about this privacy notice, please contact us. Contact details are provided below.
WHO WE ARE
1. We are Queen’s University Belfast, a university with a reputation for excellence in education and research and a member of the Russell Group. Founded in 1845 as Queen's College Belfast, we became an independent university in 1908. Careers, Employability and Skills provides a professional Career Education, Information and Guidance Service (in partnership with academic staff) to support students and recent graduates in their transition through study to employment.
HOW YOUR PERSONAL DATA IS COLLECTED
2. Information you provide: When facilitating employability programmes we will ask for information about you, such as your name, contact details, your image, and occasionally your date of birth. This is known as your “Personal Data”. We may also ask you for some special categories of information (for example dietary requirements and disability requirements). This is known as your “Sensitive Personal Data”.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
3. We use your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data in the following ways:
- Your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data will be used by the selection panel when selecting participants for the programme to which you have applied. It will also be used to facilitate the delivery of services required for the programme such as travel, accommodation and hospitality and to ensure that support can provided to students with a disability to give them an equal opportunity to participate.
Some personal data, your name, course, student number, gender and year of study will be used by us for the purpose of reporting student engagement with our programmes to other departments within the University.
Your contact information will also be used prior to the programme and during the programme to communicate programme arrangements. It will also be used after the programme to obtain feedback and request support for future delivery of the programme.
Your image may be collected during your participation in the programme in the form of photographs and videos. We will ask you for specific consent to use this material and your consent may be withdrawn at any time.
Emergency contact information will be used only in the case of an emergency during a programme when it is appropriate to do so.
LEGAL BASIS FOR COLLECTING AND USING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
4. We will only use your Personal Data if we have valid reasons for doing so. These reasons are known as our “legal basis for processing”. In certain circumstances we may ask for your consent to process your information. At other times we may be required to process your information to enable us to fulfil our part of the contract we have with you. There are circumstances where we have a legitimate interest to process your personal data, for example to provide you with a service which you have requested.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH
5. In line with our Data Protection Policy and Procedures we can share your information, including Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data, with the following parties for the purposes set out above:
- The University’s travel partner and the travel and accommodation businesses sourced through them.
- Organisations who host visits as part of the programme and require the information for secure access to their building/site and hospitality purposes.
We will share some contact details (phone number and university email address) with other participants on the programme to facilitate communication within the group.
DATA PROCESSING OUTSIDE EUROPE
6. For the Global Leadership Programme we will transfer your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area for the purposes stated above. Before sharing your data we will ensure safeguards are in place to protect your data. You can receive a copy of these safeguards by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. For other programmes we will not transfer your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area.
HOW LONG YOUR INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT
8. We will delete your Sensitive Personal Data at the end of the programme (no more than 1 year after the programme launch). We will keep some of your Personal Data (name and course) for up to 2 years after you graduate. We will only keep your information if we need it for one of the reasons described above. We place great importance on the security of the Personal Data that we hold, including the use of physical, technological and organisational measures to ensure your information is protected from unauthorised access and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, alteration, disclosure, destruction and damage.
If you have submitted your application via MyFuture, you can delete this yourself at any time after the programme ends. We cannot delete this information for you as it is held in your account.
9. The Data Protection Act 2018 provides you with a number of legal rights in relation to your Personal Data, including the right:
- to request access to your Personal Data;
- to request correction of your Personal Data that is wrong or incomplete;
- to request erasure or the restriction of processing of your Personal Data;
- to request the transfer of your Personal Data in a structured; commonly used machine-readable format;
- not to be subject to automated decision making; and
- to withdraw your consent.
10. If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, or require further information about any of the rights, please contact us.
11. Where we need to collect your Personal Data, whether for the purposes of providing a service you have requested or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that information when requested, we may not be able to provide the service or perform the contract. We may, therefore, have to cancel the contract or the service we provide to you but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
12. There may also be times where we cannot stop using your Personal Data when you ask us to, but we will tell you about this if you make a request.
13. If you have any questions or comments about this privacy notice, please contact us at: email@example.com
14. You have the right to complain about how we treat your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted at:
Information Commissioner's Office
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
15. We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We will notify you of the changes where we are required by law to do so.