Queen’s University Belfast (“we”, “us” and “our”) is committed to protecting your personal data. The notice is addressed to students who participate in programmes facilitated by us, (“you” and “your”). This Privacy Notice tells you why we need to collect personal information about you, what we will do with it, and how we will look after it. It also tells you about your legal rights in relation to your Personal Data. If you have any questions about this privacy notice, please contact us. Contact details are provided below.
1. We are Queen’s University Belfast, a university with a reputation for excellence in education and research and a member of the Russell Group. Founded in 1845 as Queen's College Belfast, we became an independent university in 1908. Careers, Employability and Skills provides a professional Career Education, Information and Guidance Service (in partnership with academic staff) to support students and recent graduates in their transition through study to employment.
2. Information you provide: When facilitating employability programmes we will ask for information about you, such as your name, contact details, your image, and occasionally your date of birth. This is known as your “Personal Data”. We may also ask you for some special categories of information (for example dietary requirements and disability requirements). This is known as your “Sensitive Personal Data”.
3. We use your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data in the following ways:
4. We will only use your Personal Data if we have valid reasons for doing so. These reasons are known as our “legal basis for processing”. In certain circumstances we may ask for your consent to process your information. At other times we may be required to process your information to enable us to fulfil our part of the contract we have with you. There are circumstances where we have a legitimate interest to process your personal data, for example to provide you with a service which you have requested.
5. In line with our Data Protection Policy and Procedures we can share your information, including Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data, with the following parties for the purposes set out above:
We will share some contact details (phone number and university email address) with other participants on the programme to facilitate communication within the group.
6. For the Global Leadership Programme we will transfer your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area for the purposes stated above. Before sharing your data we will ensure safeguards are in place to protect your data. You can receive a copy of these safeguards by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. For other programmes we will not transfer your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area.
8. We will delete your Sensitive Personal Data at the end of the programme (no more than 1 year after the programme launch). We will keep some of your Personal Data (name and course) for up to 2 years after you graduate. We will only keep your information if we need it for one of the reasons described above. We place great importance on the security of the Personal Data that we hold, including the use of physical, technological and organisational measures to ensure your information is protected from unauthorised access and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, alteration, disclosure, destruction and damage.
If you have submitted your application via MyFuture, you can delete this yourself at any time after the programme ends. We cannot delete this information for you as it is held in your account.
9. The Data Protection Act 2018 provides you with a number of legal rights in relation to your Personal Data, including the right:
10. If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, or require further information about any of the rights, please contact us.
11. Where we need to collect your Personal Data, whether for the purposes of providing a service you have requested or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that information when requested, we may not be able to provide the service or perform the contract. We may, therefore, have to cancel the contract or the service we provide to you but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
12. There may also be times where we cannot stop using your Personal Data when you ask us to, but we will tell you about this if you make a request.
13. If you have any questions or comments about this privacy notice, please contact us at: email@example.com
14. You have the right to complain about how we treat your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted at:
Information Commissioner's Office
15. We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We will notify you of the changes where we are required by law to do so.
Queen's University Belfast is committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
For more information please read our Equality and Diversity Policy.
Queen's University Belfast is registered with the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland NIC101788
VAT registration number: GB 254 7995 11