City Scholarship Programme
This is a prestigious programme that is unique to Queen's. It is open to applications from first year students of ANY degree discipline who are interested in a career in either corporate Law or Finance.
Selected students undertake work-shadowing business internships with senior professionals in these sectors in one of a variety of cities in the UK and Ireland including London, Liverpool and Dublin. This is an excellent opportunity to gain an insight into these sectors, develop commercial awareness and build professional networks.
The internships will take place 25th-29th June 2018..
The costs of travel and accommodation are supported through scholarship funds donated by Queen's alumni and the companies for which they work.
"The City Scholarship experience was fantastic, one I am thankful to have been a part of and a great motivator for the rest of my degree!"Eve PIjl - City Scholar 2016
Applying for the Programme
- Open to degree-registered first year students of Queen's. We encourage applications from students of any degree subject.
- Applicants are required to achieve a 2:1 average in their modules. We will check QSIS for available module grades before inviting students to interview.
- Preference may be given to students from under-represented courses.
The recruitment panel are looking for evidence of your motivation to work in these sectors, your drive and commitment, and your willingness to give back to the Queen's Community. It is recommended that you get involved in relevant activties throughout the year (e.g. employer events, clubs and societies) and keep up-to-date with current affairs.
How to apply:
Written applications -
We will recruit for the City Scholarship (Finance) internships and the London Finance & Business Worplace Study Tour through the same written application process. Likewise, we will recruit for the City Scholarship (Law) internships and the London Law Tour through the same written application process.
- Applications for City Scholarship (Finance) and the London Finance & Business Workplace Study Tour opened 7th February 2018. There was an information session in the SGC Hub on that day. The deadline for applications is 26th February at 3pm.
- Applications for City Scholarship (Law) and the London Law Tour will opened on 8th February. There was an information session in the SGC Hub on that day. The deadline for applications is 26th February at 12 noon.
- It is not essential to attend these sessions in order to apply, but it is highly recommended.
Further details of how to apply are available in MyFuture under Jobs -> Queen's Career Programmes -> Available Positions.
Students will be required to state on their application if they are applying for the Tour, the City Scholarsip programme or both. If both, they will be required to state a preference. Students will not be able to participate in both programmes.
Students shortlisted for the City Scholarship programme will be required to record a video interview. The interviews will take place 21st March - 13th April. The interviews will be reviewed by a panel which incudes senior Queen's alumni.
After the interview -
If successful at interview you will be matched with a host organisation and the stipend will be released to you to make travel arrangements.
Alumni and Supporters
Want to support the programme?
If you would like to support the City Scholarship Programme through either donations or through providing a placement for a student please contact the Development and Alumni Relations Office