- The Oncampus jobs service advertises part-time work and placements at the University through MyFuture.
- Some part-time opportunities will be advertised on MyFuture – Click on Search Jobs -> Advanced Search -> Casual / Part-time
- NIJobs.com is a general jobs website for Northern Ireland which includes adverts for part-time jobs
- Many shops, restaurants and bars do not advertise online, but will put up notices in their windows. Go in and ask how to apply. Some prefer CVs and others require you to complete an application form.
It can be difficult to find part-time work directly related to your degree. Most opportunities are in hospitality or retail. These enable you to develop skills which will be useful to any career area.
See our advice for CVs and Covering letters. For part-time work your CV can be shorter than for a graduate job. Make sure you tailor it, focussing on relevant experience and skills.
National Insurance Number – this is a unique number assigned by the government to everyone eligible to work. You need to apply to get one. You can begin work without having it, but it is a good idea to apply for the NI number before applying for work.
Students working part-time are entitled to the national minimum wage.
If you have more detailed questions about tax or your right to work, the UKCISA website has useful information.
The word “internship” is typically used to describe a short period of work experience (e.g. over the summer) which doesn’t have to relate to your degree.
Most (but not all) summer internship opportunities are aimed at undergraduate students in their middle year.
Many (but not all) are advertised in September/October and many have deadlines before December.
Internships in the UK:
- Inside Careers – Business, City & Finance, Engineering & Technology
- Gradcracker - Engineering & Technology
- Going Global - on MyFuture - has a database of jobs and internships abroad
- See also the pages
- Europe Internships - a variety of internship opportunities throughout Europe (including the UK)
- The EURES website have lots of information on jobs and learning opportunities throughout Europe.
- BUNAC - internship opportunities around the world
- CCUSA - internship opportunities around the world
- Gradlink UK - a website for international students studying in the UK. It has internships and graduate jobs in various parts of the world including Africa, Bangladesh, Canada, Gulf, India, and Sout-East Asia