Queen's University is committed to ensuring that its examination system is designed, as far as possible, to meet the individual requirements of students with disabilities. We will endeavour to ensure that our examination procedures are effective in assessing the knowledge and abilities of such students, while at the same time, ensuring the maintenance of academic standards.
In order for University staff to respond appropriately to the requirements of students with recognised disabilities, it is crucial that those with disabilities register with Disability Services as soon as possible.
The University currently offers a range of facilities at examination time, including:
Students may be given additional time to complete an examination paper. The amount of additional time will be determined based on your individual requirements and might be granted in the following circumstances:
- Where the average speed of communication of the candidate is significantly below that of candidates without a disability
- Where a candidate's communication is affected because they tire easily or they have limited strength or flexibility
- Where the disability worsens due to stress and/or climate variations
- Where a candidate experiences pain and/or muscular spasm
- Where a candidate's reading speed is slow
- Where a candidate with speech difficulties is taking an oral exam
- Where the completion of practical tasks is delayed due to the candidate's disability
Supervised rest breaks may be granted as appropriate. Some candidates may require medical or other treatment during an examination. If an examination is interrupted for such reasons the duration of the break will not be deducted from the time allowed to complete the examination paper.
Separate Examination Venue
Some students may need to complete their examination in a room on their own either for physical or psychological reasons. This provision will be granted when it is deemed appropriate as a result of the candidate's disability.
Examination Support – Flexibility with deadlines
If you have accommodation for flexibility with deadlines for examinations for disability-related reasons this will be documented on your Individual Student Support Agreement (ISSA).
This adjustment should only be requested if you are unable to sit an exam due to disability related reasons and the following process should be applied:
- You should notify your School Office and Disability Services, as far in advance as reasonably practical, via email, citing the reason(s) that you are unable to sit and providing additional supporting evidence, if available but not required.
- This communication along with any supporting evidence should be used by the School to determine whether an alternative form of assessment or re-sit without penalty will be approved.
- You and Disability Services should be notified of the outcome in writing by the School.
It is important that examination venues are as comfortable as possible for all candidates. Some candidates may require additional items of furniture, as follows:
- Fully adjustable chair with armrests
- Double-width desk
- Flat desk
- Foot stool
Support Providers will carry out practical tasks for a candidate whose disability prevents them from doing so themselves. Support Providers are not permitted to give factual information or advise the candidate on how to structure responses. Examples of One-to-One Support include:
- Personal Assistant
Alternative Presentation of Exam Papers
Depending on a candidate's disability, he or she may require an examination paper to be produced in one of the following formats:
- Different coloured exam paper
- Exam paper in large print
- Exam paper on audio cassette
- Brailled exam paper
The use of technological aids may be the most effective means of communication for some candidates with disabilities. If a candidate chooses to use a personal computer with assistive software it will be the candidate's responsibility to ensure that they are proficient in the use of their chosen tool.
You will be treated on an individual basis to ensure that the facilities arranged meet your specific requirements.