Skip to main content

Drug and Alcohol Awareness

Do you know the effects of drugs and alcohol?

If you're worried about your drinking or someone else's drinking you can always talk to someone at the University Health Centre, your GP, one of the SU Student Officers or the Student Counselling Service.

‌The government advises that people should not regularly drink more than the daily unit guidelines of 3-4 units of alcohol for men (equivalent to a pint and a half of 4% beer) and 2-3 units of alcohol for women (equivalent to a 175 ml glass of wine). ‘Regularly’ means drinking every day or most days of the week.

Ever thought about how much you drink? 

Queen’s, in consultation with the Students’ Union, has introduced e-PUB, the new, confidential self-assessment that provides you with accurate, detailed and personalised feedback on your use of alcohol. 

You will receive feedback based on your answers, which will be completely confidential. There is no way for the University or Students’ Union to see what you’ve said. 

Try the e-PUB survey by clicking here. 

Make a note of your e-PUB id number so you can take the questionnaire again at a later date and compare your results.

Be sure to verify your completion of e-PUB with your name and email address. Your e-PUB data is NOT attached to your verification.


Do you know the health effects of alcohol?

The NHS website contains a number of useful articles and resources under their Drinking and Alcohol section:

Drink Aware has lots of useful information about the short and long term effects of alcohol. Click here to visit their website and get a better understanding of your own drinking and to help you make a decision on whether it’s time to rethink your approach to alcohol.

Below are some interesting articles contained on their website:‌


ASCERT is a Northern Ireland based charity which provides services that address the impact of alcohol and drugs related issues that affect people's lives. Their website has a wealth of drug-related information, some of which includes:


FRANK offers friendly, confidential drugs advice and contains a variety of resources which may prove useful if you have any questions or concerns. Below are a few links from the website:


The PSNI have produced the below drug awareness leaflet to warn the community about the dangers of drug and substance abuse. It contains details of how different types of drugs can damage your health, and offers advice on how to spot signs of abuse in others:

South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust

The South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust have also made the following booklet available which looks at Cannabis use and provides additional information you may find helpful: