Pathway Opportunity Programme
What is the Pathway Opportunity Programme?
The Pathway Opportunity Programme provides a route to Queen's University for talented young people from Northern Ireland who have the ability to study at Queen's but may require additional support and encouragement to reach their full potential.
Throughout Years 13 and 14, Pathway students will benefit from a structured series of events designed to aid progression to Queen's University, including receiving admissions guidance and support. Students will also participate in a week long assessed residential summer school in July 2019. Participants who successfully complete the programme will benefit from a guaranteed conditional offer to study at Queen's University in a selected course in their Pathway subject and, depending on their performance on the assessed summer school, may benefit from receiving a reduced admissions offer which may be up to two A-level grades (or equivalent) lower than the standard offer.
Queen's University has selected the following discipline specific course streams for the 2019 Pathway Opportunity Programme:
• AHSS (Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences)
• Archaeology and Palaeoecology
• Civil Engineering
• Computer Science
• Food, Microbiology and Environment
As a participant of the programme, Pathway students will:
- Gain valuable knowldege in their chosen Pathway subject and in core academic skills.
- Experience a bit of university life.
- Benefit from advice and guidance for their UCAS application and personal statement.
- Receive a guaranteed conditional offer of a place at Queen's University Belfast for a selected course in their Pathway subject upon successful completion of the programme.
- Be eligible for a reduced offer of up to two A-level grades (or equivalent) below the standard entry offer. For example, where the standard offer for a course is AAB, a Pathway student may receive an offer of BBB. This reduction in grades is valid only upon completion of the programme, reflects the work you undertake to complete the programme and is based on your performance on the summer school assessment.
- Receive a bursary in their first year at Queen's Univeristy
- Benefit from tailored transition events and support provided by Queen's University throughout their first year of undergraduate study and support througout their time at Queen's.