ECIT Engagement Call
ECIT is one of the QUB's flagship Global Research Institutes (GRIs). Our vision is to become a globally recognised institute, driven by research excellence, solving societal challenges and delivering impact through a unique model of innovation. We wish to further our engagement with the Queen’s academic community to help us grow our core research areas and define new inter- and cross-disciplinary research themes that will underpin tomorrow’s digital society. This evolution to multi-disciplinary research is key to our exciting plans for the creation of the Global Innovation Institute under the Belfast Region City Deal.Apply now
Our established areas
ECIT already has a strong international reputation in several areas of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT).
The institute is made up of three research centres namely:
- The Centre for Data Science and Scalable Computing (DSSC), which is known for research excellence in cognitive signal processing, high-performance and scalable computing, and applied machine learning.
- The Centre for Secure Information Technologies (CSIT), where we conduct leading research in security and privacy, hardware and embedded systems security, applied cryptography, cloud and IoT security, network security, malware, industrial control systems security and AI-enabled security.
- The Centre for Wireless Innovation (CWI) which has world leading capability in millimetre-wave and multiple antenna systems and their use in future technologies and applications such as 5G and IoT.
Deliver on the digital challenges of tomorrow
We are actively seeking ambitious and driven researchers from across the University who wish to collaborate with us to augment our core research areas and deliver truly global impact.
In return, we can help to digitise your research through our world leading expertise and facilities. While we are interested in hearing from anyone who can contribute directly to the centres listed above, we are particularly keen to attract experts who develop or use digital technologies to achieve breakthroughs in engineering, the health and life sciences or the social sciences.
Global Innovation Institute (GII)
The GII vision is to provide a core cross cutting innovation pillar in support of the Belfast Region City Deal (BRCD), promote world-class research and act as a driver for major economic impact.
One of the areas into which the GII will play a major role is in the area of preserving and enhancing our digital health – driving the linkages between health in soil, animal and human for better nutrition and environment (One Health Agenda). This requires high performance computing capability and intelligent machine learning algorithms, coupled with high speed data connectivity, whilst ensuring data privacy and security. While this will be an important initial focus area of the GII, other sectors will also be considered e.g. advanced manufacturing and financial services, ensuring we are meeting the needs of the wider economy.
Benefits & How to Apply
What benefits can I expect?
There are an abundance of benefits from being an ECIT member.
Some of the benefits that you can expect from engaging with the ECIT GRI include:
- Contribute to multi-disciplinary project proposals – participate in consortia made up of academic and industry partners.
- Access to a team of industry experienced engineers – who develop professional hardware and software demonstrators, support knowledge transfer activities and accelerate the impact of your research.
- Business development and industry support – to facilitate industry engagement and commercialisation.
- ECIT Associate Fellow designation – a clear indication of your interdisciplinary research pedigree.
- A collegial environment - that fosters collaboration and cross-pollination of ideas without barriers.
- Dedicated or hot-desking space and access to laboratory facilities with state of the art testbeds – for you, your PGR students and your research staff.
Interested in learning more or wish to submit and expression of interest to engage?
If you are interested in learning more about the ECIT GRI and our ambitious plans, please feel free to contact the ECIT Interdisciplinary Programmes Director Gavin McWilliams or talk to any of the Principal Fellows (listed alongside their primary research centre).