Is a cover letter really as important as a CV?
Your cover letter gives you the opportunity to sell yourself beyond the restrictions of a CV. Join us for this virtual workshop as we share hints and tips on how to write a cover letter that will set you apart when applying for academic jobs. In this workshop, we will also consider how to build a competitive academic record to ensure you stand out to employers, and how to effectively transfer skills you have developed in the academic world to non-academic work environments.
Meet the Consultant
This virtual workshop will be led by Dr Lilian Simones, Researcher Development Consultant at the Graduate School. Dr Simones supports and guides PhD students and early career researchers and helps them to navigate the next steps in their chosen career paths. An experienced researcher, Lilian has a multidisciplinary background, combining Psychology, Education, Gesture Studies and Music.
*Students who attend all fourteen workshops (below), equivalent to seven full days of training, integral to the Future Ready Programme the academic year 2021 – 2022 will be eligible for the Researcher Plus Award.
- Your Cover Letter for Academic Jobs
- Your Cover Letter for Non-Academic Jobs
- Your Academic CV
- Your Non-Academic CV
- Succeeding in Academic Interviews
- Succeeding in Non-Academic Interviews
- Writing Effective Funding Proposals
- How to Find a Job
- Employer Engagement Event
- Commercialising Your Research
- Preparing for Leadership
- Applying Project Management Principles to Your Research
- Building your Emotional Resilience
- Fundamentals of Coaching