Postgraduate research employability, careers guidance and support
Development and future readiness
Employability, Careers Guidance and Support
The Graduate School offers a range of opportunities for students to develop their future-readiness and manage their own careers whether that is into further academia, non-academic employment or self-employment.
Career 1-2-1 Appointments
For All Postgraduate Students
1-2-1 Professional Support
Career 1-2-1 Appointments will be running throughout the summer.
Appointments can be booked via MyFuture. Once logged in go to:
Appointments > Book an Appointment
*please note that these sessions are bookable 15 days prior to each appointment.
Guidance and 1-2-1 Appointments
Career Consultations at the Graduate School
A 30 minute confidential career consultation. Areas for discussion include: career choice, job hunting, LinkedIn profile, further study or CV guidance.
Academic Skills Consultations
Guidance on general academic writing style and grammar. We aim to help you find your own voice within academic writing to ensure that you reach your potential. Each session will conclude with take-away action points to allow you to continue to develop your writing skills.
Guidance around business or enterprise start-up and information on opportunities for finance, investment and further support.
Please note, your CV can be presented on paper or on your own laptop. Documents on mobile/smart phones or USBs will not be reviewed.
The Graduate School also offers a range of employability workshops to support postgraduates with the next step in their career. Workshops are demand led and often co-developed by employers and industry experts.
These can and include practical skills development around:
- Strategic Job Hunting - LinkedIn
- Mock Interviews
- Preparation for Academic Interview
- Preparation for Non-Academic Interview
To sign up for our next workshop please visit MyFuture.
If you would like to suggest any workshops please email Dr Lilian Simones, L.Simones@qub.ac.uk
A five day careers and employability programme tailored for postgraduate research students in their 2nd or 3rd year of study.
Considering what life will be like after your PhD and want to know your options for the next stage of your career? The Future Ready programme is for you.
- Gain insights into the job market up to 2030
- Learn how to transfer your academic skills to non-academic working environments
- Perfect your job documents (CVs/ Cover Letters)
- Fine-tune your interview technique
- Understand how to write funding proposals
- Network and interact with a range of potential employers at the Employer Engagement Event*
Attend all nine workshops, equivalent to five and a half days of training, to complete the Future Ready programme and to become eligible for the Researcher Plus Award route A!
*In previous years employers included: Citi, AquaQ Analytics, Allstate, Vanrathm AFBI, Start 360.
Choose the dates that suit you and register via MyFuture:
1. Writing an effective academic CV
26th September 2019 or 9th January 2020
2. Writing an effective non-academic CV
3rd October 2019 or 16th January 2020
3. How to succeed in academic interviews
12th November 2019 or 28th January 2020
4. How to succeed in non-academic interviews
10th October 2019 or 30th January 2020
5. Writing effective cover letters for academic jobs
24th September 2019 or 17th January 2020
6. Writing effective cover letters for non-academic jobs
2nd October 2019 or 14th January 2020
7. Writing effective funding proposals
28th November 2019 or 10th March 2020
8. How to effectively search and find jobs
12th December 2019 or 27th February 2020
9. Employer Engagement Event
27th November 2019 or 28th April 2020
For more info contact Lilian Simones:
Researcher Plus & Degree Plus
Gain Experience and Accreditation
Researcher Plus & Degree Plus
As a current postgraduate student of Queen’s University, you will have the opportunity to gain official recognition by the University as a result of developing your own skills and research in addition to your studies.Find out more