SCHOOL OF NATURAL AND BUILT ENVIRONMENT PRIVACY NOTICE
STAKEHOLDER EVALUATION OF PLANNING ONLINE SURVE
Queen’s University Belfast (“we”, “us” and “our”) is committed to protecting your personal data. The notice is addressed to participants of the online stakeholders in planning survey, (“you” and “your”). This Privacy Notice tells you why we need to collect personal information about you, what we will do with it, and how we will look after it. It also tells you about your legal rights in relation to your Personal Data. If you have any questions about this privacy notice, please contact us. Contact details are provided below.
WHO WE ARE
1. We are Queen’s University Belfast, a university with a reputation for excellence in education and research and a member of the Russell Group. The research team is based in the School of Natural and Built Environment, working with colleagues in Cardiff University School of Geography and Planning.
HOW YOUR PERSONAL DATA IS COLLECTED
2. When completing the online survey we will ask for information about you, such as your gender, age, income band and opinions. This is known as your “Personal Data”. We may also ask you for some special categories of information (for example your voting preference). This is known as your “Sensitive Personal Data”.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
3. The responses that you give to the survey questions will be analysed to investigate
- public opinions on the current contribution of the planning system to the public interest and how this can be improved;
- differences in the opinions and priorities of different types and groups of stakeholder regarding planning’s contribution and how these can be addressed in the delivery and the further improvement of the planning system.
Our findings will be published publicly, but individual responses will not be identifiable.
LEGAL BASIS FOR COLLECTING AND USING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
4. We will only use your Personal Data if we have valid reasons for doing so. These reasons are known as our “legal basis for processing”. The legal basis for processing your Personal Data is that it is
- necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest ; and
- necessary for archiving purposes, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes and is in the public interest.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH
5. In line with our Data Protection Policy and Procedures we will share your information, including your Personal Data, with the collaborating researchers in Cardiff University. All such data will be treated securely and participants will not be identifiable in any data published in relation to this project.
DATA PROCESSING OUTSIDE EUROPE
6. Survey responses for the online survey will be stored on SurveyMonkey cloud data servers during the collection phase. Currently, SurveyMonkey stores European customer data on servers in the US and has been certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield Program to ensure that its European Customers comply with the European Personal data export requirements. For further information please see: https://help.surveymonkey.com/articles/en_US/kb/SurveyMonkey-Data-Transfers-and-EU-Laws
HOW LONG YOUR INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT
7. We will keep your Personal Data for up to 5 years from the end of the study period. We will only keep your information if we need it for one of the reasons described above. We place great importance on the security of the Personal Data that we hold, including the use of physical, technological and organisational measures to ensure your information is protected from unauthorised access and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, alteration, disclosure, destruction and damage.
8. The Data Protection Act 2018 provides you with a number of legal rights in relation to your Personal Data, including the right:
• to request access to your Personal Data;
• to request correction of your Personal Data that is wrong or incomplete;
• to request erasure or the restriction of processing of your Personal Data;
• to request the transfer of your Personal Data in a structured; commonly used machine-readable format;
• not to be subject to automated decision making; and
• to withdraw your consent.
9. If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, or require further information about any of the rights, please contact us.
10. There may also be times where we cannot stop using your Personal Data when you ask us to, but we will tell you about this if you make a request.
11. If you have any questions or comments about this privacy notice, the University’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted at:
Data Protection Officer
Queen’s University Belfast
12. You have the right to complain about how we treat your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted at:
Information Commissioner's Office
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
13. We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We will notify you of the changes where we are required by law to do so.