KIDS’ LIFE AND TIMES SURVEY 2018 PRIVACY NOTICE
Queen’s University Belfast (“we”, “us” and “our”) is committed to protecting your personal data. The notice is addressed to potential respondents to the 2018 Kids’ Life and Times survey (“you” and “your”). This Privacy Notice tells you why we need to collect personal information about you, what we will do with it, and how we will look after it. It also tells you about your legal rights in relation to your Personal Data. If you have any questions about this privacy notice, please contact us. Contact details are provided below.
WHO WE ARE
1 We are Queen’s University Belfast, a university with a reputation for excellence in education and research and a member of the Russell Group. Founded in 1845 as Queen's College Belfast, we became an independent university in 1908.
HOW YOUR PERSONAL DATA IS COLLECTED
2 Information you provide: When completing the online survey we will ask for information about you, such as, gender and opinions you have. This is known as your “Personal Data”. We may also ask you for some special categories of information (for example national identity, if you have a disability etc.). This is known as your “Sensitive Personal Data”.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
3 We use your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data in the following ways:
- The responses that you give to the survey questions (including your gender, national identity and your attitudes to the social issues/topics addressed in the survey) will primarily be used by researchers to explore public attitudes of children in Northern Ireland; these may also be compared with the attitudes of other social groups.
- We will analyse and publish our findings publicly, but your individual responses will not be identifiable.
- We will produce a dataset of responses, which will be available on our website (www.ark.ac.uk/klt), and we will deposit this data with the UK Data Service at the University of Essex (www.ukdataservice.ac.uk/).This means that the data can be analysed by researchers. However, we remove or change some of the data, so that you cannot be identified.
LEGAL BASIS FOR COLLECTING AND USING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
4 We will only use your Personal Data if we have valid reasons for doing so. These reasons are known as our “legal basis for processing”. Our legal bases for processing your data are:
The legal basis for processing your Personal Data is:
- processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
The legal basis for processing your Sensitive Personal Data is:
- processing is necessary for archiving purposes, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes and is in the public interest.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH
5 In line with our Data Protection Policy and Procedures we can share your information, including Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data, with the following parties for the purposes set out above:
- We will produce a dataset of responses, which will be available on our website (http://www.ark.ac.uk/klt)and we will deposit this data with the UK Data Service at the University of Essex (www.ukdataservice.ac.uk/). This means that the data can be analysed by researchers. However, we will remove or change some of the data, so that you cannot be identified
DATA PROCESSING OUTSIDE EUROPE
6 We will not transfer your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area.
HOW LONG YOUR INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT
7 Your personal data will be kept indefinitely in an anonymous form once processing has been completed. We will only keep your information if we need it for one of the reasons described above. We place great importance on the security of the Personal Data that we hold, including the use of physical, technological and organisational measures to ensure your information is protected from unauthorised access and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, alteration, disclosure, destruction and damage.
8 The Data Protection Act 2018 provides you with a number of legal rights in relation to your Personal Data, including the right:
- to request access to your Personal Data;
- to request correction of your Personal Data that is wrong or incomplete;
- to request erasure or the restriction of processing of your Personal Data;
- to request the transfer of your Personal Data in a structured; commonly used machine-readable format;
- not to be subject to automated decision making; and
- to withdraw your consent.
9 If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, or require further information about any of the rights, please contact us.
10 There may also be times where we cannot stop using your Personal Data when you ask us to, but we will tell you about this if you make a request.
11 If you have any questions or comments about this privacy notice, the University’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted at:
Data Protection Officer
Queen’s University Belfast
12 You have the right to complain about how we treat your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted at:
Information Commissioner's Office
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
13 We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We will notify you of the changes where we are required by law to do so.