Seagate Technology PhD
Company: Seagate Technology is the world leader in data storage technology and in their twenty-fifth year of operation at our Springtown site in Northern Ireland, where they undertake high volume manufacture and research and development (R&D) of the read/write head. The recording head is of critical importance in providing the increased data storage capacity demanded by society for personal and cloud-based storage. The Springtown facility is globally significant and is responsible for around 75% of the Company’s recording head manufacture as well as undertaking nearly 50% of the associated R&D. There is approximately 1400 staff on site with around 130 engaged in R&D.
Location: After the CDT Training Phase, the research student will be located at Seagate Technology, Springtown, Northern Ireland The student will continue to be involved in cohort activities and occasional travel back to Glasgow/Belfast and via Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) partner the Irish Photonic Integration Centre (Cork-Dublin), for ongoing training and annual conference/winter schools.
Research: Industrial EngD projects with Seagate will focus on the technological challenges associated with HAMR. HAMR technology also sets challenges for improving the magnetic data storage media and requires new production-compatible metrology. The successful EngD Research Engineer based at Seagate Technology (Springtown) will benefit from direct supervision at Seagate, working on their research alongside Seagate employees. They will gain a full view of the research process for Seagate's technology product focus.
Industry aligned PhDs working within the Universities in:-
- Quantum Plasmonics
- Quantum-dot based plasmonics
- Design of ultra high confinement (<20 nm) heat spots with plasmonics
- Metamaterials for plasmonics
- 2D materials for plasmonics
- Nanowire/Plasmonic Laser Design / Fabrication
- Photonic Crystal Lasers
- Simulation and characterisation of Quantum dot Fabry Perot lasers
- Solid state lasers and optical feedback control
- Optical switching in ultra compact integrated photonic systems
- Thermal management systems for integrated lasers
- Folded cavity design lasers
- Ultra low beam divergence lasers
- Magnetic Holography
Doctoral Programme: PhD During the application process, use the title "EPSRC CDT PIADS Seagate PhD“
Supervisory Team : Industrial Supervisor, Primary Academic and Secondary Academic