The specific objectives of the studentship will be to:
- Review the current environmental pressures on Irish estuarine ecosystems based on existing regulatory data and academic research and identify possible conflicts;
- Develop a matrix of regulatory compliance requirements based on current domestic and European legislation and policy targets and analyse their spatial implications for Irish estuaries;
- Based on international best practice, develop a proposed framework for the management and monitoring of Irish estuarine ecosystems;
- Develop a SMART analysis of two selected case studies of Irish estuary ecosystems;
- Explore the opportunities and constraints of implementing the proposed framework developed above in the context of the two selected case studies with the aim of recommending an Environmental Management and Monitoring System template applicable on a national scale.