- Northern Ireland is undergoing an ageing revolution. An unprecedented change in society and we need to start planning for it.
- 5 facts about the ageing population in Northern Ireland.
- By 2027 the number of over 65's will jump by 44%. Numbers of over 85's will double by 2029.
- Over 65's make up 15% of todays population. By 2037 it will be 24%.
- By 2028 there will be more over 65's than under 16's for the first time.
- Today there are 109,000 more under 16s than there are over 65. By 2037 that will have completely reversed with predictions there will be 122,000 more over 65's than under 16's.
- The number of under 65's will grow by just 1.5% by 2022
Northern Ireland Cohort Longitudinal Study of Ageing (NICOLA) is Northern Irelands largest public health study. It is only made possible by the commitment of all our participants, who have given up their time to speak to interviewers, complete questionnaires and undergo health assessments.