NI Science Festival 2019
NI Science Festival 2019 in WWIEM
Know Your Enemy: Disease-Focussed Research at Queen’s University
Saturday 16 February, 1pm – 5pm
Suitability: All Ages
Free, Drop In Event
To celebrate the 2019 NI Science Festival, we open our doors and invite you to join us on Saturday 16 February, 1 - 5 pm, to explore how the human body works and how we are leading the fight against disease.
You will hear about the work of local scientists who are committed to improving the lives of patients, and who focus their efforts around three disease themes: eye disease, diabetes/vascular disease, respiratory/infectious disease.
Do you have questions about science, research, careers or what its like to be a scientist? Then come along and talk with our research scientists on an informal basis, and explore our exciting research.
Let us inspire you through a range of demonstrations, interactive stands and debate all led by our staff and students. The whole family can experience research up close and tours of our state-of-the-art building will allow visitors, young and old, to appreciate our commitment to the fight against disease.
- Explore our exciting research through a range of demonstrations and interactive stands in areas such as:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and the Breathe Project
- Bacteria and viruses - how they attack and how the body protects itself
- Repairing the brain in Multiple Sclerosis
- The Wonderful Eye
- Mesenchymal stem cell therapy and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- Getting to “the heart” of research – insights into the heart during health & disease
- Lungs: facts, function and diseases
- How the body works in Gory Corner
- Take part in tours of our building
- Sign up at reception
- Tours start at 2 pm, 3 pm and 4 pm
- Let’s Talk Science at 2.30 pm and 3.30 pm
- Join WWIEM researchers to discuss & debate hot topics in scientific research.
Download the 2019 WWIEM NI Science Festival event flyer here.
This is just one of the exciting NI Science Festival events taking part in the Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Sciences in QUB, visit www.qub.ac.uk/about/Leadership-and-structure/Faculties-and-Schools/Medicine-Health-and-Life-Sciences/ni-science-festival/ to find out more.
For more information about the NI Science Festival, 14 - 24 February, please visit www.nisciencefestival.com.
Photography: We will be documenting Know Your Enemy for use in future publicity. Please speak to a member of staff on the day if you prefer not to be photographed.