Finance, Technology and Artificial Intelligence Research Lab
The Finance, Technology and Artificial Intelligence Research Lab (FAB) is a cross-disciplinary research institute based at Queen’s Management School (QMS). The lab will be industry-focused and aims to provide thought leadership for Northern Ireland’s vibrant financial technology ecosystem.
The mission is to bridge gaps between information technologies, data science, innovation, and financial decision-making. The goal is to be a global lab of excellence, uniquely located at the gateway between the UK, and the EU.
Northern Ireland is recognised as a world-leading cyber security ecosystem underpinned by QUB’s CSIT (Centre for Secure Intelligent Technology) – the UK’s largest cyber security-focused university technology partner. The unique location of Northern Ireland gives access to UK and EU markets, making QMS uniquely positioned to establish an emerging research lab for fintech, working in partnership with CSIT, to provide business and financial insights for the digital economy.
CSIT is the UK’s Innovation and Knowledge Centre for cyber security, based at QUB. Their mission is to couple major research breakthroughs in the field of secure information technologies with a unique model of innovation and commercialisation to drive economic and societal impact.Learn more about CSIT
FAB Key Activities
- Collaborate with industry on Knowledge Transfer Partnerships to drive innovation.
- Take part in industry-sponsored research activities, including PhD co-funding like CAST.
- Actively engage in corporate sponsorship and collaboration funding projects.
- Establish a sandbox program to cultivate future-ready graduates by transforming our courses into real-world sandboxes, bringing together students, academics, and industry to co-create solutions for contemporary problems.
- Rethinking econometrics for the age of AI implementation.
- Financial tail risk, advanced analytics and artificial intelligence (co-produced research with NI FinTechs).
- Financial technologies and financial inclusion (Fully funded AHSS International PhD Scholar).
- Trader surveillance (CSIT + FAB collaborations).
- Secure and connected regulatory technology innovation (collaboration with Global Innovation Institute).
FAB brings together experts in the financial technology ecosystem. Its members' research strengths lie in the fields of financial services, cyber security, Artificial Intelligence (AI), ethics and machine learning . It also links to experts working in other Schools at Queen's University Belfast and beyond, with research expertise in innovation and leadership in these fields.
FAB has four categories of members:
- Steering Group
- External Senior Members
- Queen's Management School Members
- Student Fellows