Finance is about investing, with a focus on how to value assets and manage risk. Studying a degree in Finance will help you to understand how stock markets and financial institutions function, and how they can be used by both investors and corporations. Actuarial science looks at how organisations make financial sense of the future, assess risk and protect themselves from loss.
The research in our Finance Subject Group relates to three themes:
- Financial markets and institutions over the long run.
- Not-for-profit financial institutions, particularly credit unions.
- The microstructure of financial markets.
Why study Finance at Queen’s?
- Undergraduate students undertake a placement preparing them for employment
- Students have access to Bloomberg terminals in the Trading Room, a market leader of financial news, data and analytics
- All finance programmes are accredited or professionally recognised
- Students are invited to participate in the Queen’s University Trading and Investment Club (QUTIC) and Queen’s Student Managed Fund (QSMF)
I have really enjoyed my course. I completed a 14 month placement with the Pension Protection Fund in London and have been offered a job there as an investment analyst. My degree programme and placement year have helped me develop industry specific skills necessary for a career in finance. Kelly Moohan
Global Head of Client Service & Solutions, Custody & Fund Services, JP Morgan
Declan’s team are responsible for the day-to-day client service and onboarding for clients on the firm’s Custody and Fund Services platform, which has assets under custody of nearly $20 trillion.Where could Queen's take you?
One of the best finance programmes in the UK
Accounting and finance at undergraduate level is ranked 7th in the UK by the Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
A finance qualification opens many doors. Potential career opportunities include:
Retail banker; Accountant; Trader; Financial analyst; Portfolio manager; Researcher; Risk Manager; Financial advisor; Consultant; Company director
Graduate employers include:
Goldman Sachs; Morgan Stanley; JP Morgan; First Derivatives; Barclays; Setanta Asset Management; Pramerica; KPMG; Mercer