HELP WITH IMPORTANCE, RELEVANT TRAINING
The School of Biological Sciences operates the most diverse work experience programme in the University.
The School of Biological Sciences recognises the importance that gaining relevant experience has to their students. All students entering the School have the option of work experience built in to their degree programme. The School also integrates experience into a number of our taught Masters programmes.
Biological Science students can undertake work placement as an optional element of their degree programme. The School have developed an extensive list of contacts and potential host organisations and support is provided for students throughout their search for work expeirence.
Students have the option of undertaking either a 16 or 46 week period of experience. Each year our students work in areas which are relevant to their course including the Food, Agriculture, Environmental, Health, Research and Life Science areas. With fewer jobs and more graduates, getting as much experience as you can is vital.
Contact Mark at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on previous placement hosts and the type of work our students undertake.
Benefits for students include
- Development of the key employability skills sought after by graduate employers
- Helps develop work ethic, and professional skills required in the work place
- Turning theory into practice, helps you apply learning from your degree programme into a real working environment
- An exposure to workplace culture and increased career insights
- Experience of other countries, cultures and languages; there are opportunities for students to work abroad
- Some placements are paid which would allow students to earn some money
- Start to develop your own networks and contacts
- Get acquainted with experts in your field
- Increased chances of landing that first important graduate job
If you are an employer who is keen to link in with our Work Placement programme please contact Mark Gallagher at email@example.com. Queen’s University's Careers service offer a full recruitment service to employers seeking to recruit placement students and graduates. Employers also have the opportunity to come on site and meet with students and present opportunities.
Benefits for employers include;
- Cost effective source of labour.
- Motivated, committed and loyal employee.
- Opportunity to assess student’s potential for future employment - the opportunity to give a potential recruit a trial without obligation.
- Flexibility in staff deployment and increased productivity.
- Increased awareness of current academic developments in the particular discipline.
- Breakthrough thinking (not blinkered or stereotyped).
- Generating goodwill within the academic community.
- Payback (putting something back into the system)
Mark Gallagher is the Work Placement and Careers Adviser for the School of Biological Sciences and acts as an initial point of contact for Employers and students, contact Mark at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dionne Alexander is the Work Placement Officer for the School of Biological Sciences and acts as a point of contact for employers and students, particularly for Environmental, Animal and Marine Sciences. Contact Dionne at email@example.com
Discover and learn about our placement and careers services
Hear from students and employers on the successes and valuable experiences to be gained from engaging with the careers and placement programmes.