Celebrating Biological Sciences women
For International Women's Day 2020, we wanted to shine a spotlight on some of the female staff who help make the School of Biological Sciences the great academic and research institution that it is today
The above image does not even begin to capture ALL of the women who add value to the School of Biological Sciences and IGFS- from PhD students to professors, business support to lab technicians, project managers to digital officers. There are simply too many to feature.
It is merely a shapshot - literally - of the increasing number of female academics, research fellows, administrators, technical and professional staff who continue to push the boundaries in myriad ways - international research excellence; industry links; stakeholder engagement; outreach, media and public engagement.
Below, in no particular order, are selected case studies of some of our more prominent academic staff - their achievements set the standard for early-career researchers coming through, as well as inspiring their non-academic colleagues who are often working to support and promote their international research partnerships.
Click through to find out more about our female academics' specialisms - again, by no means an exhaustive list, but a flavour of the high calibre of all researchers, both male and female.
- Prof Jayne Woodside - expert in diet and nutrution https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/Research/find-a-phd-supervisor/professor-jayne-woodside.html
- Prof Moira Dean - expert in the psychology of behaviour at various points along the foodchain https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofBiologicalSciences/Connect/AcademicStaff/ProfessorMoiraDean/
- Prof Aedin Cassidy - expert in plant nutrients which improve cardio-metabolic health https://www.qub.ac.uk/Research/GRI/TheInstituteforGlobalFoodSecurity/institute-for-global-security-news/NewDirectorofInterdisciplinaryResearchappointed.html
- Prof Sharon Huws - expert in ruminant food security https://www.thehuwslab.com/personnel
- Prof Niamh O'Connell - expert in farm-animal welfare https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofBiologicalSciences/Connect/AcademicStaff/ProfessorNiamhOConnell/
- Prof Michelle McKinley - expert in relationship between diet and disease, particularly diabetes & cardiovascular illness https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/Research/find-a-phd-supervisor/dr-michelle-mckinley.html
- Prof Irene Grant - expert in foodborne bacteria & food safety https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofBiologicalSciences/Connect/AcademicStaff/ProfessorIreneRGrant/
- Prof Lynn Vanhaecke - expert in metabolomics, in relation to food safety https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofBiologicalSciences/Connect/AcademicStaff/ProfessorLynnVanhaecke/
- Prof Helen Roche - expert in diet & relationship between nutrition & health https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofBiologicalSciences/Connect/AcademicStaff/ProfessorHelenRoche/
- Prof Katrina Campbell - expert in chemical contaminants & toxins in food, animal feed & the environment https://pure.qub.ac.uk/en/persons/katrina-campbell
- Dr Danielle McCarthy - expert in nutrition as it relates to population health & wellbeing https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofBiologicalSciences/Connect/AcademicStaff/DrDanielleMcCarthy/
- Dr Claire McEvoy - expert in nutrition as it relates to age-related chronic disease https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/Research/find-a-phd-supervisor/dr-claire-mcevoy.html
- Dr Katerina Theodoridou - expert in farm-animal nutrition https://pure.qub.ac.uk/en/persons/katerina-theodoridou
- Dr Qiaoxhu Su - expert in molecular nutrition as it relates to chronic metabolic disease https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofBiologicalSciences/Connect/AcademicStaff/DrQiaozhuSu/
- Dr Caroline Meharg - expert in host-microbial interactions in the context of food security https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofBiologicalSciences/Research/find-a-phd-supervisor/dr-caroline-meharg.html
- Dr Chen Situ - expert in anti-microbial resistance, food safety & quality https://pure.qub.ac.uk/en/persons/chen-situ
- Dr Emma Allott - expert in nutrition as it relates to cancer risk & progression https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/Research/find-a-phd-supervisor/dr-emma-allott.html
- Dr Marie Cantwell - expert in dietary intake & cancer risk & progression https://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofBiologicalSciences/Research/find-a-phd-supervisor/dr-marie-cantwell.html