Microbes and Pathogen Biology
Microbiology is the study of the ways in which microbes, including bacteria, fungi and viruses, affect our health and this is the major focus of our courses.
Microbiologists are at the cutting edge of solving the microbial problems facing mankind. For example, genetically modified microbes are used to combat pests and disease in crops without the need for chemical sprays. Valuable products like insulin for diabetes and vaccines against diseases are made cheaply and efficiently by modified microbes.
Microbiologists work in a huge variety of fields, including food, healthcare, chemicals and waste treatment. Our course includes a signficant proportion of laboratory-based work and you will have the opportunity to learn a wide variety of practical techniques.
- Biochemistry with Professional Studies
- Biological Sciences
- Biological Sciences with Professional Studies
- Marine Biology
- Marine Biology with Professional Studies
- Microbiology with Professional Studies
- Zoology with Professional Studies
- Animal Behaviour and Welfare
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Parasitology and Pathogen Biology