The James MacQuitty Law Scholarship
The James MacQuitty Law Scholarship was founded in 2002 with funds provided by the MacQuitty Family Trust. It was established in honour of James MacQuitty QC who was a distinguished member of the English and Northern Ireland Bars and was presented with the degree of Doctor of Laws (honoris causa) by Queen’s University Belfast in 1987.
The Scholarship is designed to assist law graduates (students with LLB) from Northern Ireland to pursue a Masters’ degree in the School of Law at Queen’s University Belfast in any law or law related subject area.
The Scholarship, which is tenable for one year, shall provide for course fees and a stipend for the scholarship holder up to a current value of £15,000. The stipend shall be paid in three instalments, one upon enrolment in September 2019, the second at the beginning of the second semester in February 2020 subject to satisfactory progress in the first semester, and the third upon submission of the LLM dissertation in September 2020.
To be eligible for the Scholarship an applicant must
- be a law graduate (hold an LLB)
- have been accepted on to one of the Master’s degree programmes in the School of Law commencing study in September 2019 on a full-time basis.
- be classified in residency terms for fees at “home student” status
- be ordinarily resident in Northern Ireland
- The award will be made on the record of academic achievement and a supporting written statement outlining in not more than 750 words:
- what the applicant hopes to achieve through this opportunity and the impact they think this will have on their life
- what the applicant plans to do with their learning to impact the lives of others.
To apply for a programme, complete the online application for study form at:
Candidates are asked to note that if they are in receipt of any other Scholarships or award, they will not be eligible to receive this award. Applications must be made in the form of a letter outlining the reasons why you feel your studies would benefit from this award, along with a brief CV.
Apply via e-mail to email@example.com by * 5pm, FRIDAY 19 JUNE 2019 * . Application should be addressed to the Postgraduate Administrator, School of Law, Queen's University, Belfast, BT7 1NN.
Please note that if you have already applied/been accepted for a programme of study you may still apply for the Scholarship by following the instructions above.