Name: Reem Saeed Alghamdi, BSN,RN,MSM
Research Theme: Midwifery
Research Title: A mixed-methods exploration of the level of respect provided to women during childbirth at healthcare facilities in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Research Interests: Respectful Maternity Care, Midwifery, Women’s health care, Breastfeeding, Education, Qualitative, Mixed-methods
Supervisors: Dr. Oliver Perra & Dr. Breidge Boyle & Dr. Janine Stockdale
Birthing women need to be satisfied and empowered with their experiences which depend on respectful maternity care given by health care providers. Therefore, this project aims to explore women experiences of intrapartum care at childbirth facilities in Saudi Arabia using a mixed-methods approach to gain a deeper understanding of respectful maternity care.
- School of Nursing and Midwifery- Research Showcase - 2019
- The Inaugural Doctoral Collaborative Conference (IDCC) - 2019
- International Maternity Expo (IME)- 2019
- RCM NI / INMO All IRELAND MIDWIFERY CONFERENCE- 2019
- International Women Day- 2019
- The 1st International Saudi Conference on Gynaecology, Obstetrics and Reproductive Medicine- 2018
- The 3rd international Saudi Health Informatics Conference (ISHIC)- 2018
Alghamdi, R., Albloushi, M., Alzahrani, E., Aldawsari, A. and Alyousef, S. (2019). Nursing Education Challenges from Saudi Nurse Educators’ and Leaders’ Perspectives: A Qualitative Descriptive Study. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 16(1).
Alghamdi, R. and Jarrett, P. (2016) Experiences of student midwives in the care of women with perinatal loss: A qualitative descriptive study. British Journal of Midwifery, 24(10), pp. 715–722. doi: 10.12968/bjom.2016.24.10.715.
AlAbdulkarim, L., Villagracia, H., Alghamdi, R., AlZahrani, H., AlSudairi, N., Nouh, N., AlMutairi, A. and Alhaji, K. (2016) A MIXED METHOD APPROACH TO DEVELOP AND VALIDATE A MULTIDISCIPLINARY FRAMEWORK FOR EVALUATION OF BARRIERS AND FACILITATORS TO AWARENESS, IMPLEMENTATION, INITIATION AND CONTINUITY OF EXCLUSIVE, BREASTFEEDING IN NEWBORN STAGE IN SAUDI ARABIA. Abstracts & Proceedings of SOCIOINT 2016- 3rd International Conference on Education, Social Sciences and Humanities, Istanbul, Turkey, (978-605-64453-7-8).
I am a PhD candidate in Midwifery at Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland. I have been awarded the King Saud University scholarship (2017) as being a faculty member in Maternal and child healthcare department in the College of Nursing. I have been a teaching assistant and clinical instructor since 2010. My research interests focus on women’s health care as well as Midwifery care and education. I am passionate about Midwifery because I view it as a very practical profession that promotes, protects and supports women's reproductive rights while respecting ethnic and cultural diversity. That’s why my research PhD project about respectful maternity care.
My Perfect PhD Day
When the writing is done for that day, I make another coffee while discussing the joys and challenges with fellow researchers.
MID2103 Complex Childbearing for BSc (Hons) Midwifery Sciences- Year 2
- Childbirth educator (2019).
- A volunteer member in Northern Ireland Cancer Focus and Cancer Research (2018).
- Saudi Students Society, Female Activities Coordinator (2018-2019).
- A member of the School Research Ethics Committee (2017-2019).
- A fundraising director of UNICEF society on QUB campus (2017-2018).
When I’m not PhDing…
Enjoying life and nature in Northern Ireland.