PRACTICE ROOMS & INSTRUMENTS
In addition to the facilities for organists and pianists, the School of Music & Sonic Arts has an extensive range of early keyboard instruments. There are five harpsichords, including a single-manual Italian, single-manual Fremish, and a double-manual French instrument, along with a virginal and clavichord, and a reproduction 18th-century fortepiano. In May 2006 the School of Music and Sonic Arts acquired a copy of a Baroque chamber organ built by Dutch maker Henk Klopp. Its specification is 8', 4' and 2' with a split keyboard. In 2007 the School purchased a single-manual harpsichord based on Andreas Ruckers 1637 instrument. It was built by Michael Johnson, and inaugurated by Carole Cerasi on 16 October 2008.
The School offers free loan of unusual orchestral instruments to students requiring them for the University Orchestra. These include cor anglais, E flat and bass clarinets and double basses. The student leader of the University Orchestra is traditionally given loan of a fine 18th-century violin donated to the School by Professor Harrison.
More recently, the School purchased a range of brass instruments (Eb and Bb cornets, tenor horn, baritone and Eb bass) for the brass band.
There is also an extensive collection of orchestral percussion, including four tam-tams, xylophone and marimba, as well as instruments more normally associated with jazz or Afro-Caribbean music, such as vibraphone, congas and hand-percussion. Students wishing to play on original instruments have access to a full chest of viols plus a second bass viol, as well as a range of wind instruments including recorders, sackbut, cornetti and cornettini, serpent, crumhorn and natural horn. Students also have access to many non-Western musical instruments from Africa and the Far East. The University owns a Balinese gamelan which is in the care of the ethnomusicologists in the Department of Social Anthropology - School of History and Anthropology.