School of Electronics, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
& ECIT Global Research Institute
Proposed Project Title: Anonymous Wireless – Building a Privacy Enabled Internet of Things
Principal Supervisor: Professor William Scanlon Second Supervisor: Dr Simon Cotton
Our hyper connected society has changed every aspect of modern life over the past 5 to 10 years and this is set to continue with the development of sensing and control technologies applied to every part of society – transport, living (housing), health, energy, industry and commerce. Often these emerging developments are described as “smart” as they combine sensing and actuation with connectivity, data analytics and archival data storage. Others describe aspects of this field as the “Internet of Things” and it is clear that the vast majority of connections in these applications will be wireless. However, one potential threat to the exploitation of all of these innovations intersecting with every aspect of life and living is the high risk of loss of privacy and associated risks.
This ambitious PhD project seeks to consider alternative fundamental approaches to networking in an attempt to establish new principles for anonymous wireless networks. The project aims to be disruptive – challenging the TCP/IP approach that forms the core of almost all current networks – and exploring new ways to interconnect that, fundamentally and intrinsically, protect the privacy of users.
The main objectives of the project are to:
- Investigate the principles and requirements for anonymous networks.
- Develop new ideas for anonymous wireless access.
- Using formal methods or numerical methods evaluate the performance of anonymous wireless access and the implications for core networks and remote services.
- Implement and demonstrate anonymous wireless networking using a software radio testbed.
- Disseminate research findings at major international conferences, and publish in leading IEEE journals.
Supervisor Name: Professor William Scanlon Tel: +44 (0)28 9097 1877
QUB Address: Centre for Wireless Innovation (CWI)
ECIT Institute Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Queens Island, Belfast