EEECS Summer Research Internships 2018
Proposed Project Title:
Low cost microwave sensor for 24/7 healthcare monitoring
Dr Neil Buchanan & Dr Gareth Conway
This project will involve the design and fabrication of a wearable, near field microwave sensor, which is suitable for use as healthcare monitor, with the ability to record heart rate and other vital signs.
Preliminary studies of this sensing technique has shown that it can measure more data than other types of healthcare sensors, such as infra red or wearable electrodes. This could allow considerably more comprehensive healthcare data to be made available 24/7 from a simple wearable device.
To expedite the demonstration of a complete working system, the project will make use of some off the shelf microwave evaluation hardware, with some aspects being custom designed.
- Literature review of current research in microwave healthcare monitoring
- Selection of a suitable baseline system design
- Design of a wearable passive microwave healthcare sensor
- System measurement of sensor using off the shelf microwave evaluation hardware
- Writing up of results with the aim of contributing to a conference or short journal paper
The scheme is open to all EEECS Undergraduates (apart from students on the BIT degree pathway and students who are due to graduate this summer)
Each internship will last between 6-8 weeks and will pay a weekly stipend of £250.
Accommodation and travel costs are not provided under this scheme.
Start date: To be negotiated
Duration: (Weeks) 8
Location: ECIT – Titanic Quarter
Further information available at: http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/eeecs/Research/
|Supervisor Name:||Dr Neil Buchanan|
Queens University of Belfast
|Tel:||+44 (0)28 9097 1721|