Find a PhD Supervisor
Dr Joe MorrisonSchool of History, Anthropology, Philosophy and Politics
Dr Morrison works on topics in the philosophy of science (evidence, holism, scientific realism) and in naturalised epistemology (reasoning / inference, psychologism, methodological debates).
He is currently writing about logical and mathematical knowledge, about perception and hallucination, and about the philosophical aesthetics of electronic dance music
Open to PhD applications in the field of
- General Philosophy of Science
- Anything to do with evidence (prediction, confirmation, explanation), pragmatic features of theory choice (‘loveliness’ etc.), (ir)rationality of science, holism.
- Scientific realisms: abundance-theories vs. minimalism, fictionalism and Inference to the Best Explanation.
- Science as social knowledge.
- ‘Scientism’ and anti-science attitudes.
- Natural kinds and social kinds.
- Philosophy of Mind and Psychology
- Mental fictionalism / eliminativism
- Inference and reasoning
- Quine, Naturalism and Naturalised Epistemology
- Quine’s naturalism, Quine’s holism, Quine’s criterion of ontological commitment
- Indispensability arguments
- (Anti-)psychologism in philosophy, in epistemology, in logic.
- Philosophical methods: a priori knowledge, intuitions.
Public outreach & key achievements
- Director of the British Philosophical Association
- Committee Member for the Analysis Trust
- AHRC Peer Review College member