Academic Foundation Programme (AF2)
Application Process & Selection Criteria
How does the Application Process work?
The eligibility criteria for the Foundation Programme and the Academic Foundation Programme (AF2) are the same. All final year UK medical students are therefore eligible to apply but must show the potential to fulfil a demanding academic role while still achieving clinical competencies.
The person specification for recruitment to the national Foundation Programme is used as an absolute minimum. It is important that candidates consider their interests and research the possibilities available before making application. Academic Foundation posts and eligibility will be advertised on the UK Foundation Programme Office website (www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk)
Selection criteria for the research posts:
- Applications will be reviewed by a joint panel from QUB and NIMDTA
- The selection criteria to be applied for shortlisting will be:
i) Evidence of academic activity during their undergraduate training.
ii) Medical School Decile Score of 37 or greater (excluding any additional points which may contribute to Educational Performance Measurement)
i) Have published paper(s) in a PubMed indexed medical reserach journal (online only publications and published abstracts are not eligible)
ii) Presentations at a national or international medical research meeting external to the candidate's university
iii) Individual prizes or awards
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview.
- Candidates should review the list of disciplines available and provide their top 3 positions in rank order when they attend for interview
- Doctors will be appointed, according to their interview score, to the disciplines available
- Doctors cannot undertake a research placement in a specialty which overlaps with F2 clinical placements i.e, if Oncology is part of four months clinical placement at F2 this should not be chosen as a research interest.
Application for these academic posts is made through the national scheme – UKFPO http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk
- National Closing Date 12 noon, 4 November 2020
- Interview Thursday 10 December 2020