QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY BELFAST
Who were the winners in 2018?
FRANCOFEST is an exciting simulated FRENCH TRADE FAIR for YEAR 10 PUPILS, developed from EUROFEST by NICILT and the Selby Modern Languages Forum. 30 teams from post-primary schools from across N. Ireland took part in the 2018 competition which took place on 5/2/18 in the Whitla Hall at Queen's University.
WHAT DO PUPILS DO?
- A team of 4 Year 10 students from your school will set up a trade stand to sell products or run a tourist information office.
- Students practise their language skills in a realistic, but safe environment, speaking and listening in French, giving information, answering questions and writing down details.
- Students will browse the other pupils’ stands and meet professional linguists.
- Pupils win prizes for different aspects of their performance, such as their spoken French, creativity and more...
- The nature of the competition would ensure that all pupils are able to succeed and gain something from taking part.
- After the trade fair, pupils go on a tour of the Queen’s campus as well as meet and hear from specialist speakers on the relevance of having language skills for employability.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE?
- It can not only help to boost students’ confidence and increase their motivation for French, but also encourage them to develop new skills.
- Francofest highlights the usefulness of language skills in business today, raising the career aspirations of the young learners and fostering closer relationships between schools, higher education and business.
- Francofest encourages the following skills...
- Marketing and enterprise skills
- All 5 Thinking Skills & Personal Capabilities
- All 4 linguistic skills in French
- French for real purposes
- ICT to create advertisements
- Pupils will also gain:-
- Enhanced confidence and enthusiasm for French
- An insight into Higher Education and Careers with French
- A competitive spirit in French
- Better relationships with pupils from other schools that study French
HOW DO SCHOOLS PREPARE?
- Now that registration has closed, you will receive 2 sets of role-plays which pupils should adapt and practise. Pupils decide if they want to design and sell a product or products from a French-speaking country or community, or if they want to set up a tourist stand to advertise a region, town or place, also from a French-speaking country or community.
- Schools can run an internal competition to choose the team that will compete at the event in February.
- Pupils work in teams to come up with ideas for their trade stand and learn the role-play they have chosen and adapted.
- Preparation work can be done in class, for homework, or during lunch-time or after school.
WHAT COSTS WOULD BE INCURRED?
The competition is FREE so the only cost schools would incur would be for transportation and stationery materials for competitors to create display materials for day of the competition. One member of staff must also accompany pupils to the event.
REGISTRATION FOR 2018 HAS CLOSED.
MORE NEWS WILL BE POSTED SOON ABOUT THE 2019 COMPETITION.