The School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work is committed to the Athena SWAN Charter principles , aimed at advancing gender equality in academia. Our Action Plan (PDF, 331KB) focuses on
- Improving career development and progression, especially for female staff.
- Improving and promoting work-life balance and a family friendly environment for all staff.
- Improving gender equality and academic progression for students, especially women.
- Creating a more egalitarian workplace culture
We have a committed team in place who work towards implementing this plan, made up of students and staff from across all sections of the School. The team is open to new members and runs regular events and activities to promote gender equality.
We have a number of policies in place and under development, including
- Core Business in Core Hours
- Research Only Day for Academic Staff
- Student Email Protocol
- Teaching-free semester for Maternity and Shared Parental Leave Returners
- Breastfeeding Support