Both staff and students work contribute to reducing the School’s carbon impact.
|Food||food waste caddy in Staff Common Rooms|
|Paper||throughout School buildings|
|Plastic bottles||throughout School buildings|
|Cans||throughout School buildings|
|Batteries||caddy in Receptions|
|Cardboard||bin in back yard, 20 College Green at back door, 69 University Street|
|Glass||in Staff Common rooms or in Back yard, 20 College Green|
|Books||books in good condition can be donated to an organization called Better World Books. Boxes are available from Estates.|
Further information can be found in the A-Z Guide to Waste and Recycling
- Academic staff should add student resources to Queen's Online rather than hand out photocopies.
- The School owns a small set of coffee cups and saucers which are used instead of disposable cups.
- Tap water is made available for meetings, vivas, etc. rather than bottled water.
- When ordering catering from internal or external suppliers, we ask them to ensure that, as far as possible, they are using locally produced, seasonal food. This limits the air miles associated with food brought in unnecessarily from other countries.
- The Cycle+ scheme allows staff to purchase a bicycle and safety equipment, and receive National Insurance and Income Tax discounts through a salary sacrifice scheme.
- You can view information on the University's car-sharing scheme at www.qubcarshare.com.
- The University has an interest-free loan scheme for staff to buy bus or rail passes.
- Staff are encouraged not to heat their workspaces above 21oC, to switch off lights if they are the last to leave a room, and to turn off appliances at the socket at the end of the working day and turn off any printers, chargers, etc during the day if they are not in use.