Abstract Submission Guidelines - Submission now closed
- First Abstract Call Opens: 27 September 2017
- First Abstract Call Deadline: 09 February 2018
- Notification of Review Outcome: 19 February 2018
- Deadline for first-call authors to register to confirm attendance: 14 March 2018
- Third Abstract call Opens (Posters only): 01 April 2018
- Third Abstract call Closes (Posters only): 14 May 2018
Abstract submission has now closed
- It is ESSENTIAL that you read the instructions below before you submit.
- The Presenting Author must submit the abstract and is required to be the corresponding author for that abstract
- Abstracts must be submitted in English
You do not need to register for the summit prior to submitting an abstract however following acceptance into the programme you must register by 14 March 2018.
If you have an accepted abstract you are entitled to get the early bird registration rate up until the 14 March 2018. You will be provided with a link to register at this rate in your acceptance email. If you have any queries please contact email@example.com. After this date any registrations made by you will be at the prevailing summit registration fee at time of registration/payment.
An abstract can be submitted for presentation at the summit as one of the following categories:
- Lightning Talk
Panel discussions will take place on summit themes. They will be 1 hour including Q & A. Submissions are welcome from one of the four summit themes.
Lightning Talk Format:
Lightning talks will be short 5 minute presentations. The presenter must clearly articulate their thought/concepts/etc. in front of an attentive audience. There will be no Q&A, presenters must stick to strict time limit.
Accepted posters will be asked to produce a poster for display at the summit. Presenters are asked to take note of the following guidelines when producing their poster:
- Maximum poster size is A0 portrait style (0.84 x 1.19 m)
- Keep text to a minimum
- Ensure any text is in large font
- Use graphs, charts, and/or tables
- Ensure contents have a logical flow
- Use the Velcro provided to affix your poster to the display board
- Make it colourful
- Removal and collection of posters at the end of the display period remains the responsibility of the presenter. Posters not removed by the indicated take down time will be removed and disposed of.
- There will be a specific time for the poster presentations in the programme. Presenters will be required to stand by their poster during this time.
At the review stage, the Programme Committee may change the presentation type submitted by the Author to ensure the continuity of the summit programme. The presenting Author will be informed of any change to their submitted presentation type at the acceptance notification stage. The decision of the programme committee is final.
Abstracts must be submitted under one of the summit themes.
- Deliberate contamination of food:
Understanding the growing threat to the integrity of the global food system from food fraud and food terrorism. Formulating a call for action to build a robust global food defence system
- The threat from pathogens to the food system:
Understanding the growing complexities and risks to human health from foodborne illness and antimicrobial resistance (AMR). Formulating a call for action to build a global monitoring system for foodborne illness and AMR
- Human exposure to chemical cocktails present in foods:
Understanding the growing levels of human exposure to multiple chemicals present in foods. Formulating a call for action to build develop new ways of assessing the risks to human health from these exposures.
- Delivering the nutritional needs for the 21st century global population:
Understanding the major nutritional challenges to support improved health and wellbeing of the human population. Formulating a call for action to build a global nutritional security policy.
Submission Guidelines and Templates:
Please adhere to the following formatting guidelines when preparing abstracts for submission for ASSET 2018. Abstracts which are not correctly formatted will not be reviewed.
How to submit an abstract
The Presenting Author will be the contact person for the abstract and must submit the abstract. Once you enter the online submission portal, start by creating an Account. Please keep a record of the account details you use to set up the account as you will require them to log into both the ASSET 2018 abstract submission system and summit registration portals. Upon successful submission of the abstract a confirmation email will be sent to the Presenting Author.
If you have not received a confirmation email, please check that your abstract is not left in draft and is fully submitted by logging back into the portal and checking on the Edit Abstracts page.
A maximum of 2 abstracts may be submitted by a lead presenter. A lead presenter may only have one accepted speaking opportunity and one poster, or a maximum of two accepted posters.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you can save your submission as a draft and return to edit the submission, but once it has been submitted the abstract cannot be edited after the close of submission deadline. If you require any assistance regarding the submission of your abstract, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The online abstract submission system is a simple step by step process and will ask you to input the following details:
- Title of the abstract (word limit is 15)
- Presentation type (Panel, Lightning Talk, Poster)
- Theme must be chosen from the theme list above
- Name, affiliation, and job title of Presenting Author (this person will act as the main contact for this abstract; this person must be listed as the first author)
- Name, affiliation, and job title of co-author(s)
- Abstract word limit is 250, excluding Title, Authors and Affiliations. This is collected separately.
- Complete questions listed in Additional Information:
- international agency
- governmental agency
- industrial research community
- non-governmental organisation
- commercial or technical leader
- Are you a PhD student?
- If you have a conflict of interest please complete the text box:
- Professional qualifications
- Professional field: Dropdown
- In the abstract upload section, abstract submissions for
- Panel and Lightning talks only must provide a brief example of how your experience and knowledge contributes toward your participation on the chosen theme.
- Poster submissions must provide a brief synopsis of poster, anticipated impact and how it fits into selected theme.
Notification of Acceptance
Notification will be sent to the Presenting Author on 19 February 2018.
When notified of acceptance, the Presenting Author is required to accept their offer by registering for the summit by 14 March 2018. Failure to do so may result in the rejection of their abstract from the programme.
Terms and Conditions:
- The abstract submitted adheres to the abstract submission guidelines outlined above.
- The text of the abstract along with the names and affiliations, poster, powerpoint presentations and/or additional documents as requested will be published on the summit website and book of abstracts, and that this will not raise any copyright issues.
- This abstract has only been submitted once for ASSET 2018.
- A submission as a particular presentation type may be changed to a different type following review in order to be accepted and included in the programme.
- Presenters may be recorded for live streaming. A recording of the presentation and a copy of the slides may be published online after the summit.
- It is the responsibility of the Presenting Author to submit the abstract. They are the main contact whose responsibility it is to communicate with other co-authors and ensure that they register to be included in the programme.
- Accepted authors must register by 14 March 2018 to confirm acceptance of their offer in the programme. If accepted authors are not registered by this date, they may be removed from the programme.
- A maximum of 2 abstracts may be submitted by a lead presenter. A lead presenter may only have one accepted speaking opportunity and one poster, or a maximum of two accepted posters.
- The abstract submitted is in English.
- The Presenting Author is available to present at the summit on 29-31 May 2018
If you have any queries regarding the above, please contact the ASSET 2018 Programme Team email@example.com