Translation, Dramaturgy & Performance
Drama and Film Centre Queen’s University Belfast
18-20 April 2011.
‘Invisible Presences’ is presented under the aegis of Out of the Wings,an AHRC-funded project exploring Spanish theatre in English translation, in association with the Melbourne Dramaturgies Project, the Translation, Adaptation, and Dramaturgy Working Group of the International Federation for Theatre Research, and the Dramaturgs’ Network.
This international conference will explore the dramaturgical processes of translation in performance practice, whether across language and culture or the translation of ideas into material production.
Rather than seeing the processes of writing (whether collaborative or single-authored), translation, rehearsal, production, and audience reception as separate and discrete, the conference will engage approaches that view the process as more of a continuum, one that is perpetually at work.
In this way the conference offers the opportunity for dialogue between contemporary practitioners, both translators and theatre makers, and for new insights into dramaturgy and translation that seek to map the growing convergence between theatre practice and translation.
Areas for discussion include, but are not limited to:
• Translation and its metaphorical apprehension of text
• Translation and its audiences
• Translation and the contingency of performance
• Collaborative translation processes
• The limits of translation
• Dramaturgy as translation/ translational process
• Visual theatre: dramaturgies and translations of light, sound, space
• Technology: new relationships with audiences in online productions
• The dramaturgical process in different contexts: Case studies from practitioners and scholars exploring the issues and particularities of each context, such as community arts, theatre for young people, cross-art collaboration processes and facilitation, ‘postdramatic’ dramaturgies, queer dramaturgies, disability arts, collaborative writing processes, etc.
The conference will feature:
• A range of eminent speakers, including Susan Bassnett, Peter Eckersall, Mary Luckhurst, Paul Monaghan and Lawrence Venuti.
• Practical workshops exploring issues of dramaturgy and translation
• Panel sessions
• Round table discussions
Proposals addressing the themes of the conference are invited in the forms of:
20 minute paper presentation
Delegates may create new or amend existing reservations viawww.ConferenceBookings.co.uk and entering the following event code: BLFINVIS2011. Alternatively they may click on this direct link to create new reservations.
You may copy the above link onto your web site or into an email. This provides an automatic link to the first page of the reservation process. You may also wish to copy any of the following information:
EventTitle: Invisible Presences: Translation, Dramaturgy and Performance
Event Code: BLFINVIS2011
Event Location: Drama and Film Centre Queen's University Belfast
Link to New Reservations:https://www.conferencebookings.co.uk/delegate/BLFINVIS2011
Event From Date: Mon Apr 18 00:00:00 BST 2011
Event To Date: Wed Apr 20 00:00:00 BST 2011
Accommodation From Date: 17 Apr 2011
Accommodation To Date: 21 Apr 2011
Delegate Contact: Sarah Gribben. Contact Telephone Number: 028 9023 9026
Reservation Deadline: 20 Mar 2011
Organiser: David Johnston. Email: D.Johnston@qub.ac.uk
If required, hard copies of the accommodation reservation form are also available from the delegate contact Sarah Gribben on 028 9023 9026. If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact the Conference Bureau by email or telephone. We look forward to delegates placing reservations for your event.