Immigration | Visa



All employees must prove their eligibility to live and work in the UK before starting work with Queen's. If you are offered a job you will be advised, when you receive your appointment pack, what documentation you are required to provide as proof of your eligibility to live and work in the UK.


Note: If you are a non-EU/EEA/Swiss national you should not travel to Belfast via the Republic of Ireland unless you hold a visa permitting travel in the Republic.  As there is no border control between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland you may not meet with any immigration officers and cannot activate your visa on entry to the UK.  Failure to activate your visa may cause complications with your visa and potentially with your employment. 

Non EU Staff 

Non EU staff require a visa to live and work in the UK. UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) controls immigration to the UK from outside the EU. There are a range of visa types which permit work in the UK to find out what type of visa you require visit the UKVI website.

Tier 1

If you’ve been endorsed as an internationally recognised leader or emerging leader in your field in science, humanities, engineering, medicine, digital technology or the arts you are able to apply for a visa in your own right.  For details of how to apply see Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa.

An accelerated route is now available for senior academic positions in Science and Engineering where the University can make a recommendation for endorsement.  This route is open to Reader and Professorial positions that have been recruited in line with UKVI requirements.

Tier 2

If you do not hold a visa which permits work in the UK the University can sponsor you under Tier 2 of the points based system.  Under this system points are awarded for sponsorship, salary level, English language skills and maintenance funds.  The HR Business Partner dealing with your appointment will assist in obtaining a certificate of sponsorship for you and assigning it to you. For details of how to apply see Tier 2 (General) visa.

Tier 4

Most student visas permit work but will be subject to restrictions on the hours that can be worked each week during term time. 

Dependant Visa

As a dependant of a Tier 1, Tier 2 or Tier 4 visa holder you are permitted to work as long as the main visa is valid.  However if the main visa expires or is curtailed any dependant visas also cease to be valid.  It is recommended therefore that you obtain a visa in your own right where possible.

Return to Top

EU Nationals

European Economic Area (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Romania, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden) and Swiss nationals must provide documentary evidence of their right to live and work in the UK.  Acceptable documents include:

  • Passport;
  • National identity card or
  • Residence permit

EEA Family members

Non EEA or Swiss nationals who are the family member, or extended family member of an EEA or Swiss national must provide documentary evidence of their eligibility to work in the UK.


Croatian nationals remain subject to immigration restrictions and must provide a registration certificate (purple, blue or yellow) as evidence of their right to live and work in the UK unless they meet exemption criteria.   If you require a certificate the University can sponsor you.  The HR Business Partner dealing with your appointment will assist in obtaining a certificate of sponsorship for you and assigning it to you.  Details on how to apply are available at Working in the UK as a Croatian National.

Return to Top

Police Registration

If your entry clearance states that you are required to register with the police, you must do so within 7 days of your arrival in the United Kingdom. If you have dependents (partner, spouse or children) with you and their entry clearance has the same requirement, they must also register within 7 days. Children under the age of 16 do not need to register with the police. When you are registering with the Police you will need the following:

  • two passport sized photographs
  • a letter confirming your employment
  • your passport
  • registration fee (a cash payment of approximately £34)

Contact Constable Fiona James (028 9065 0222 extension 22168) to arrange an appointment to complete your Police Registration.

Return to Top