A tradition of excellence
Designed by Sir Charles Lanyon, ‘Assembly’s College’ was founded in 1853 by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland to provide training for Presbyterian Ministers.
From 1926 The College was a founding member of the new Queen's Faculty of Theology.
In 1978 the College was amalgamated with Magee College in Londonderry and has since been known as Union Theological College. It operates today as the major institution in the Queen's Institute of Theology, providing undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses.
This tour includes:
- A brief history of the Union Theological College;
- The opportunity to view some of the College's paintings, historical books and artefacts.
Did you know?
- During the years 1921 – 1932, the newly created Parliament of Northern Ireland met in the building while the Parliament Buildings at Stormont were being constructed.
- Belfast police HQ was located in the building from 1941 – 48 following the destruction of their headquarters in the Belfast Blitz.
- Founded in 1873 by Mrs Caroline Gamble in memory of her late husband, the Rev. Henry Gamble, the Union Theological College Library is the largest theological library in Northern Ireland.
- The College Chapel was designed in 1880 by Mr John Lanyon, son of original architect, Sir Charles Lanyon.