Staff Excellence Awards
Some 150 nominations were received for this year's Staff Excellence Awards. The shortlist for each category is listed below.
Category 1: Delivering Excellence
This award recognises an individual who consistently goes above and beyond the scope and remit of their role. Always striving for excellence, this individual takes pride in what they do and adopts a pro-active and flexible approach to the work.
- David Bird, School of Arts, English and Languages
- Claire Lewis, Marketing, Recruitment, Communications and Internationalisation
- Niall McKenna, Student Plus
- David McQuade, School of Pharmacy
Category 2: Team of the Year
This award recognises a collection of individuals who, through working together, have made a significant and positive impact. Teams can be established work teams or a group of individuals who have come together for a specific project or initiative. A team is considered to be two or more people.
- AHSS Student Recruitment Hub Team
- Brand Team
- Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Green Impact Team
- Naughton Gallery Team
Category 3: Achieving Ambition
This award recognises a creative and innovative individual who constantly pushes the boundaries to develop new ways to do things. A forward-thinker who embraces change, this individual is keen to learn new things and share this knowledge with others.
- Dr Philip Hanna, School of Electronics, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Catherine Li, Marketing, Recruitment, Communications and Internationalisation
- Fergus McGrath, The William J Clinton Leadership Institute
- Dr Michael Williams, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences
Category 4: Outstanding Leadership
This award recognises an individual who by their energy, enthusiasm and motivation inspires and empowers others to succeed. A role model, this individual drives change and leads with conviction and ambition to make a real difference.
- Professor Brian Falzon, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Dr Denise Fitzgerald, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences
- Dr Cristina Lagunas, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Professor Isabel Torres, School of Arts, English and Languages
Category 5: Community Impact
This award recognises a project or activity that has made a significant impact on communities, either here in Northern Ireland or further afield. The project should promote social, environmental, economic, cultural or wellbeing benefits. This award is open to individuals or teams.
- Dementia Friends, School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Deborah Morgan, Human Resources
- Gwen Smyth, Student Plus
Category 6: Lifetime Achievement
This award recognises a long-serving member of staff who has made a significant contribution to the University which has had a long lasting positive impact. This individual embodies all the Core Values of the University. A long-serving member of staff is someone who has 15 years' service or more.
- Professor Amilra De Silva, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Peter Griffin, School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Trevor Sewell, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Renee Starbuck, Estates