Skip to Content

Incoming Exchange & Study Abroad Students

Incoming Exchange & Study Abroad Students

Visa Options
Incoming Exchange & Study Abroad Students

If you are a non-UK/non-Irish national and you are coming to Queen’s University Belfast to study for one or two semesters on the Study Abroad Programme, you will need a visa to study in the UK.

It is your responsibility to check which type of visa you will need and how to get it. If you arrive at the University without the appropriate visa which permits you to study in the UK for the duration of your course, you may not be permitted to register on your course until this is corrected. In some cases, you may have to leave the UK and re-enter in order to get your immigration permission corrected.

Studying for 6 months or less

If you are studying in the UK for less than six months for example, for one semester, you can apply for a Visitor Visa for Study, which allows you to study in the UK for a maximum period of six months. This visa does not permit you to undertake any work during your time in the UK and it cannot be extended to allow you to stay in the UK after the expiry of your visa.

How you obtain a Visitor Visa will depend on whether you are a 'Visa national' or a 'Non-visa national'

Studying for over 6 months

If you are studying in the UK for more than six months, e.g. for two semesters, you will need to apply for a Student Visa. All non UK/ non-Irish students must apply for their Student visa in the country where they live before travelling to the UK. You will need a CAS statement to apply for this visa, which will be issued by the Global Opportunities team.

You can find further information about applying for a Student visa on our webpage:  Applying for your Student Visa from Outside the UK 


Students with Dual Nationality

Please note that if you are a non-EEA/Swiss national who also holds a current valid passport for the UK or Republic of Ireland, and you will be travelling to the UK using this passport, you will not need a visa for the UK. To confirm if this applies to you, you can email International Student Support at

Further Information

If you have any further questions about your visa, please contact the International Student Support team at, where the immigration advisers will be happy to help.

You can also read our helpful guidance document for further information

You can find further information about the Study Abroad Programme for incoming students on the Queen’s International webpages.

For all general non visa-related queries about the Study Abroad Programme, contact the Study Abroad team directly at

Visas & Immigration
V&I Webpage
International Student Support
ISS Webpage