Student Immigration Compliance
Adult Students Tier 4 (General)
What does PBS mean for the University and you?
The Points Based System for immigration is the UK visa system. International students who are non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals and are applying for entry clearance or leave to remain as a student will usually come under the Tier 4 (General) category.
All non-EU/EEA/Swiss foreign nationals whose primary purpose is to come to work in the UK or to study for six months or more are now required to score points in different eligibility categories in order to be granted a visa to enter the UK borders. There are five tiers - student visas are Tier 4.
Immigration Document Check
All non-EEA national students, as part of enrolment and registration here at Queen’s University Belfast, will need to upload pictures or copies of any current immigration documentation. International Student Support staff will then check these before allowing you to proceed and complete your registration with colleagues in Student Registry Services. This year the process will be as follows:
- Complete arrival questionnaire emailed to you
- Complete registration portal steps including uploading of immigration documents
- International Student Support will contact you if they require any further information prior to completing the check
- You will receive an email confirming your immigration document check has been completed and you can now proceed and complete your full enrolment and registration
Under the Points Based System the University will be obliged to tell the UK Visas & Immigration department of the Home Office about any new students who:
- Fail to arrive and enrol at the agreed time for the start of their course;
- Defer their studies;
- Take temporary withdrawal/suspend their studies;
- Withdraw from their studies;
- Fail to attend their course for significant periods of time;
- Make significant changes to their studies (e.g. location or length of course)
You will also have responsibilities under this system. You will be expected to:
- Provide the University with a copy of your immigration documents when you enrol and each time you extend your visa;
- Keep your address and contact details in Northern Ireland up to date using your Queen's Online account;
- Tell us if you are not able to arrive at the University at the agreed time;
- Tell us if you want to defer your studies before you come to the UK;
- Tell us if you are thinking about withdrawing or suspending your studies;
- Attend all of your classes. If you cannot attend for any reason you must inform your School;
- Tell us if you make any formal changes to your studies;
- Register with the Police (if applicable);
- Ensure that you do not breach the conditions of your student visa (such as working more time than is permitted or making use of public funds)
Please ensure you fully read the Terms & Conditions for Tier 4 (General) students:
International Student Support Immigration Advice Agreement:
Your visa will state conditions which apply to you during your time studying with us. The Tier 4 Migrant Guidance also confirms conditions attached to your Tier 4 visa in Paragraph 200 – 207 (page 46-48). Please read these carefully as not all of this information will appear on your visa. In particular you should ensure that you are aware of and abide by any restrictions on working hours. These will apply if you want to take up employment during term time. Please consult the Semester Dates and your School to confirm your term dates.