Skip to Content

Tier 4 Restrictions

Tier 4 Restrictions

Academic Progression

Requirement for New Course to Represent Academic Progression
This requirement applies to students who are applying for a new Tier 4 (General) visa and who have previously studied in the UK as a Tier 4 student or Student under the immigration rules in place before March 2009. If you have never studied before in the UK, this requirement does not apply to you.

In order to be able to qualify to apply for a Tier 4 visa your new course must represent academic progression from your previous UK course(s). If your new course is at a higher level than your previous course (e.g. if you were studying at undergraduate level and your new course is a Master's degree), this will represent academic progression. If your new course is at the same level as your previous course it is unlikely that you will be able to get a Tier 4 visa to study the new course unless there is a strong argument why this is academic progression in your case.

The University will make the final assessment as to whether the course for which you have applied represents academic progression. In order to make this assessment, the University will require you to provide details of all previous study in the UK and scanned copies of all your previous UK visas. 

English Language Assessment

For most students, details of entry qualifications will also include evidence of your English language ability. The University is required to assess students’ English language competency and must follow UK Visas & Immigration guidance on this matter.

For those students entering degree level study (NQF Level 6 or above), your English language level must be at level B2 or above on the CEFR and Queen’s University will have chosen how to assess your English language level. You may not be required to submit any additional evidence with your visa application, but should ensure you include evidence of all qualifications listed on your CAS. If your CAS states that no further evidence is required (perhaps due to the fact you are a national of a majority English-speaking country) then you will not have to provide any evidence of your English language ability, other than those qualifications listed on the CAS.

For those students entering pre-degree level studies (NQF 3,4,5) or a pre-sessional course your English language ability must be at B1 or above and this must have been assessed using a Secure English Language Test (SELT). Details of this qualification will be stated on your CAS. You will need to ensure you include the relevant certificate with your visa application; otherwise your application will be refused. If you are unsure about this, please contact prior to submitting your visa application.

Visas & Immigration
V&I Webpage
International Student Support
ISS Webpage