Skip to main content

Before you Arrive

  • When will I get my CAS Statement?

    Please click here to access information relating to International Admissions processes for issuing CAS Statements.

  • When can I apply for my visa?

    You can apply for your visa no earlier than 3 months before the start date of your course.

    You will be able to start completing your visa application once you have received your CAS Statement and are sure you meet all the Tier 4 requirements.

    Not sure of whether you meet all the requirements?
    Email International Student Support’s team of visa and immigration advisors:

  • How can I find out the Tier 4 visa requirements?

    A checklist of documents needed to apply for entry clearance can be found on the International Student Support website here.

  • How can I find accommodation?

    You do not need to have your visa to apply for accommodation – we recommend you apply as early as possible to maximise your chances of receiving your first preference room.

    All the information you need about accommodation, including booking a room, is available here.

  • Am I eligible for a scholarship?

    You can check your eligibility for international scholarships and country-sepcific scholarships here

  • Do I have to attend International Welcome and Orientation?

    Attendance on the International Welcome and Orientation programme is compulsory, so please ensure that you arrive on time to attend the programme so that you get the best possible start to your studies. The programme includes lots of useful and interesting sessions and exciting activities to help you make new friends and get settled in to life at Queen's.

  • Can I use my electronic devices in the UK?

    The plug socket in the UK is Type G, however, you may also need use a voltage converter as the voltage in the UK (230V) is higher than some countries. If the label on your electrical item states 'INPUT: 100-240V, 50/60 Hz' you should not need a converter. It is best to check the labels on your items before you leave to ensure you have a voltage converter if necessary.

  • Do I need private health insurance?

    If you are applying for a Tier 4 visa you will be required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of your visa application. If your course is less than six months long and you have not paid the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of your application you should take out private medical insurance for the duration of your stay in the UK.

  • When will I get my Student Number and Password?

    Your log in information will be enclosed in your Welcome letter. The steps are detailed here.

  • My QSIS account says I have to do something called a Immigration Document Check before I can enrol. What is a Right to Study Check?

    Anyone who wants to commence a course of study at Queen’s University Belfast must confirm that they have permission to remain in the UK and this permission does not restrict them from study at the University.

    To perform the check, you will be asked to present your original passport, visa and ATAS Certificate (if applicable) and complete a simple form at enrolment and registration.

    If you are collecting your BRP Card from the University, you will do this as part of your Immigration Document Check. International Student Support’s Visa and Immigration Advisors will check your documents and confirm your permission to enrol at the University.

  • I have to collect my BRP Card (visa) where do I collect it from?

    Whether you collect your BRP from a post office or from your institution depends on which option you specify in your visa application form. When you complete your visa application, the form will give you a choice of post offices from which to collect your BRP. The form will select these post offices based on the addresses you provide on your application, that is, the address where you will be living and the address of your Tier 4 sponsor.

    If you would like to collect your BRP from Queen’s University Belfast rather than going to a post office then you must enter our 'Alternative Collection Location (ACL)' code 2HE572 in the 'Alternative Location' field on your application form.

    When the Home Office notify you of the outcome of your application, you will receive a letter that accompanies your 30-day vignette. This will specify where to collect your BRP and the date your BRP should be available for collection.


  • My visa information says I have to register with the police, how can I register in Belfast? Will you help me?
  • When will I get my class timetable?

    Once you have completed Enrolment and Registration, you will be able to view your class timetable on your QSIS and Queen’s Online account.

  • How can I open a UK Bank Account?

    Any person wishing to open a bank / building society account in the UK must provide proof of identity in person to that bank. You will need to check with your chosen bank which documents they require you to present but generally they will ask for at least:

    • Your passport and visa
    • A letter from Queen’s University Belfast confirming you are an enrolled student
    • Proof of your UK address
  • I will need a letter confirming I have enrolled, who can give me this letter?

    When you have completed Enrolment and Registration you can visit the Information Desk on the 1st Floor of the Student Guidance Centre to request a ‘Confirmation of Studies’ letter.

Back to Main Page

IWO Webpage

International Student Support

ISS Webpage