Skip to main content

Key Contacts & Useful Information

International Student Support

Contact Details

International Student Support
Student Guidance Centre
Queen’s University Belfast
University Road
Northern Ireland

General Email:
Immigration Email:
Events Email:

Telephone: +44 (028) 9097 3820

School Offices Contact Details

Click Here

Faculties & Schools

Click Here

Experience the Campus for Yourself

View our 360 Degree Tour of the Campus

Get a room


Elms BT1, Elms BT2, Elms BT9 and Queen's Houses offer you the all-important space to live and enjoy student life to the full.

Queen’s currently has over 3,400 places in their student accommodation, which means you can take advantage of the most affordable, purpose-built student accommodation in the city.

Click here for more information


If you require information relating to private housing, Advice SU provide impartial advice to students and can advise further on this front:

Click here for more information

Read more Read less

Opening a UK Bank Account

Student Banking Options

If you wish to open a bank or building society account in the UK, we would advise you to speak to banks in the first instance to decide which one best meets your requirements. Please click below for the details of local banks within close proximity of the University and a range of digital banking options.

Student Banking Options

You will need to check with your chosen bank which documents they require you to present, but generally they will ask for:

  • Proof of your identity
  • Your passport and visa
  • A letter from Queen’s University Belfast confirming that you are an enrolled student
  • Proof of your UK address
Read more Read less

Families and Dependants

Education and Childcare

Education in the UK is compulsory for all children between five and sixteen years of age.

We would recommend that you organise this before you arrive in the UK as it can be difficult to find a school quickly.

Department for Education Website

Crèche, Nursery, Childcare Facilities

If you want to place your children in the Queen’s creche you should contact them as far in advance of your arrival as possible:

Childcare at Queen's

Click below for information on a wide range of family support services and registered childcare provision in Northern Ireland:

Family Support NI Website

Schools in the UK

Children’s education in the UK begins with primary education the year a child turns five until they are eleven. Children then move to secondary school where they stay until they reach sixteen, seventeen or eighteen years of age. These are normally local authority maintained schools (State Schools) and are free to all children between the ages of five and sixteen. You could choose to send your child to an independent school (private/public schools), but you will pay for their education.

To find a list of schools in the Belfast area click below and enter your Northern Ireland postcode in the highlighted box:

Education Authority Website

Read more Read less

Student Registry

Enrolment & Registration

Students are required to complete ONLINE registration at the start of each academic year via the Qsis Registration Portal. Find out more information below:

Student Registry Services

Student Helpline: +44 (028) 9097 3223

If you are a new student to the University or starting a new course, you will receive a 'Welcome Email' with full instructions from late August onwards.

If you are a returning student, you will receive an email when the Registration Portal is live.

Read more Read less

Student Finance

Finance and Fees

Student Finance oversee the financial enrolment of all students, assessment and collection of tuition fees and related charges, the administration of University Bursary Schemes and administration of the Student Support Fund. Click below for more information:

Student Finance Office

The Student Support Fund is used to provide discretionary financial help for students who are experiencing financial difficulties whilst studying and comprises two funds, the Department for the Economy (DfE) Student Support Fund and the University’s Hardship Fund:

Student Support Fund

Read more Read less

Health and Healthcare

Hospitals, Doctors, Dentists and Opticians

This below resource aims to give advice on looking after yourself, as well as practical information on how to obtain medical treatment.

It also explains international students’ entitlement to free medical treatment under the UK state health system. It describes the different options such as Accident & Emergency, visiting your GP and hospital appointments.

How the UK Medical System Works

University Health Centre

Please click below for information relating to the University Health Centre:

University Health Centre Website

Please click here for details on how to register.

During the COVID-19 pandemic to help with reduced staffing the University Health Centre (UHC) will be restricting access to the building. They will open the building daily from 9.15 - 12.30 and 15.00 - 17.00 for Prescription collection only in the afternoon.

The building will be closed 12.30 to 15.00. Their phone cover will operate as normal between 8.30 - 18.00 (emergency calls only 11.00 - 13.30).

Please keep an eye on the UHC website for further updates.

Do I require Private Medical Insurance to come to the UK?

Most medical treatment in the UK is provided under the National Health Service (NHS). Some services are free and there are charges for others.

If you are following a full-time course of study lasting at more than six months you will be entitled to treatment under the National Health Service. If you are married, your spouse and any children will also be entitled to free cover.

If your course lasts less than six months, you will not be entitled to treatment except by a hospital in an emergency unless you come from a country which has a reciprocal health care agreement with the UK. Students from countries with which the UK has a reciprocal health care agreement may receive health care as "temporary residents”. Students from other countries may be required to show personal medical insurance.

In some cases reciprocal health care agreements exclude treatment for conditions that existed prior to your arrival in the UK. Check this before you leave your home country – speak to your doctor.

If you are studying a course that lasts less than six months, you should bring any regular medication with you as this medication will be charged at full cost.

Click here for more information


The two nearest hospitals to the University are:

Belfast City Hospital

51 Lisburn Road, Belfast, BT9 7AB. Telephone: +44 (028) 90 329 241

Royal Victoria Hospital

Grosvenor Road, Belfast, BT12 6BA. Telephone: +44 (028) 9024 0503

What if I need medical advice?
111 is the NHS non-emergency free number. If you require medical help urgently call 999.


There is a charge for all dental treatment but it is less expensive to be treated under the NHS than as a private patient. It might not be possible to find a dentist who can provide you with dental treatment under NHS. When you register with a dentist you should check if they can treat you under the NHS. A list of dentists in Belfast is available from the University Health Centre.

Emergency Dentists


There is a minimum charge for an eye test and you will have to pay the cost of any spectacles or contact lenses you might need.

Opticians in Belfast


The national emergency number in the UK is 999. This is for Police, Ambulance and Fire Service and is only to be used for very serious emergencies.

If you are not sure about whether or not you should ring 999, you can ring Queen’s Security on +44 (028) 9097 5099.

The national Non-emergency and general enquiries telephone number in the UK is 101.

You can call 101 if you wish to report a non-emergency incident or hate crime.

What if I need medication late at night – where can I find an out of hours pharmacy?
The NHS Direct line will be able to tell you where you can find an out of hours pharmacy in Belfast:

Click here for more information

What should I do about vaccinations/ immunisations?

You should visit your doctor in your home country before departing for the UK to check if you are required to have any vaccinations or if any are recommended.

There are some vaccinations which the UK NHS recommends you should have before you arrive or soon after you arrive.

Click here for more information

Read more Read less

Funding & Scholarships

International Scholarships

For information regarding International Scholarship opportunities you can email or click below for more information:

International Scholarships

The School of study that you have applied to may also have specific funding opportunities in place:

Faculties & Schools

Read more Read less

Support Services

Student Welfare & Support

Queen's offers a network of support services dedicated to helping you get the most from your time at university, looking after your health, emotional wellbeing, education, study needs, financial security and future career. 

Welfare & Support

Student Wellbeing Service

There is a wide range of support available to you from the Student Wellbeing Service within Queen's. Their services are free and available to registered students at the University. Their counselling support is delivered in partnership with Inspire (external organisation). Counselling is also a free service to registered students at Queen's. If you aren't sure what support is best for you, the Student Wellbeing Service is a good starting point.

Clubs & Societies

Joining a club or society at Queen’s is the perfect opportunity to meet new people, keep up your interest in a passion, or find a brand new one you never knew you had:

Clubs & Societies

With over 200 clubs, all student-led, there’s something for everyone:

A-Z List

It’s worth getting in touch with Queen’s International Student Society (QISS). The society’s aim is to provide an inclusive support group to international students throughout their time at Queen's:



Read more Read less


Student Tour - International and Local Food

International Buddy Scheme

Useful Links

Back to Main Page

Welcome New Students

Queen's Walkabout Guide

Click Here