Join Bruiser Theatre Company and Queen's University for 3 workshop sessions exploring a classic of the 20th century stage by Brian Friel.
- October 12, 2022 - October 26, 2022
- Bruiser Theatre Company 83 University Street BT7 1HP
- 18:30 - 20:30
The Play: Originally drafted as separate one-act pieces in the mid-to-late 1970s, Brian Friel's Faith Healer would eventually be recognised as one of the most important plays of the twentieth century. Friel invites the audience to unravel the truth from a series of intricate monologues delivered by three solitary figures: the eponymous faith healer, Frank Hardy, his wife Grace and his manager Teddy.
The three characters look back on the same fraught times spent together touring small villages in Scotland and Wales. They are never granted the opportunity to stand face to face: to pose the questions they have longed to ask or to offer explanations in return. Just as the three are left alone on stage, we are left to ponder their conflicting statements.
The Workshops: This will be an engaging and rewarding three sessions of reading, creating and performing. Bruiser's approach involves everyone, so you don't need any acting experience or prior knowledge of Friel's plays to enjoy the workshops.
Led by actor, facilitator and director Stephen Beggs of Bruiser Theatre Company, you'll find out about the play and try your hand at performing in Bruiser's signature physical theatre style. Then, guided by Stephen and working with the other participants, you'll have the chance to explore the key themes, scenes and characters.
- Week 1 (Wed 12 Oct, 6.30-8.30pm): Introduction session. Intro to Brian Friel, Faith Healer, the new Brian Friel Digital Archive, and Bruiser's approach to physical theatre.
- Week 2 (Wed 19 Oct, 6.30-8.30pm): Explore the text and themes of Faith Healer - readings, discussion and exploring plot and characters.
- Challenge before Week 3: Develop your own response to the play - in a piece of creative writing or a rehearsed reading from the script.
- Week 3 (Wed 26 Oct, 6.30-8.30pm): Bring it all together - readings, performances and reflections.
Poster illustration by Ashwin Chacko, commissioned by the Friel Reimagined Project, 2022.
School of Arts, English and Languages
- Add to calendar